Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Update: 4/27/2024: I am getting some SQL error pages as I click on different areas of our forum. Clicking on them again usually loads the page. I will wait for a day or two before I have GoDaddy look into the problem.

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Split rims and general wheel safety

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
XtrapepperoniartX

Split rims and general wheel safety

Post by XtrapepperoniartX »

A friend recently brought to my attention that some buses have split rims. Would anybody be able to tell me if a 1966 model 01 comes with these?

And if so, I have heard they can be dangerous if put on wrong. Are problems with these common and should they be replaced with newer rims?
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Split rims?

Post by rusty »

I don't think that Eagle used split rims in 66 but I could be wrong.  Yes split rims are dangerous do not attempt to work on them without a proper cage. I would not touch them. The best thing to do is replace them and have it done by someone that knows what they are doing.

Side story when I was a kid my grandfather and I were come back from the elevator with a load of grain when a split rim let go. It was the left outside dual. The rim went across the road and about an other 30 feet and blew the garage door off a shop. Luckily no one got hurt. Glad the shop door was closed.
wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

As a related issue I thought that I should mention the need to check your wheels for any signs pending failures.  Both steel and aluminum wheels have either failed or showed signs of cracking.  There is a thread on this forum (Link) that discusses the problem a bit and shows a very troubling photo of a failed wheel.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

You’re right about that Jim. I found a crack on my rim last summer after I had a blowout. I promptly  had the wheel replaced. 
David
Attachments
F7A09907-9619-4D7E-B5EF-2764F3820B28.jpeg
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

David, thanks for the picture.  I think that is an aluminum wheel.  My limited experience with aluminum wheel is that they generally crack between the mounting holes.

The crack in your photo starts at the tapered hole of a budd type wheel.  The hoop stress caused by the taper can be very high and can eventually lead to cracking - both steel and aluminum.  As we all know, tire shops can really abuse the tightening process and this accelerates the cracking.

I suspect the hub piloted wheel design came about because of this problem.

Some folks have converted their Eagles to hub piloted, but I am not sure what all is involved.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

Yes, it is aluminum.  It's been on there for 20 years.  I got $40 for it at the salvage yard.  
We have to be diligent in our safety inspections.
David
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

This thread has morphed into a discussion of wheel safety and that is a good thing.  I am going to change the title to reflect the change and so that it will appear in a search.

Above I posted a link to another discussion of wheel safety.  I think the link got messed up but seems to be OK now.  I am posting the wheel failure picture from that thread here.
P5060011.JPG
Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO