Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Update: 4/27/2024: I am getting some SQL error pages as I click on different areas of our forum. Using the back arrow and hitting the link again usually loads the page. I will wait for a day or two before I have GoDaddy look into the problem.

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Insurance Companies

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
K4Eagle
Bus Model: 1978 Model 5 Entertainer (Opaline), 1989 Model 15 Coach (Ron Burgundy)

Insurance Companies

Post by K4Eagle »

We got notice from Progressive today that they are dropping our policy because they do not want to cover buses.I apologize if there is another thread that has this, but what companies are some of you folks with?
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Insurance Companies

Post by beltguy »

This subject comes up a lot on various forums.  I subscribe to what is called HDT truck on FB.  This is a group that uses semi-trucks to haul huge travel trailers.  They have the same issue trying to find non-commercial level insurance.  Most replies on the various bus and truck boards say that they find insurance at most of the major insurance companies.  I very seriously doubt that these companies seek out our market.  My hunch is that the folks posting have their other insurance policies with the specified company and somehow work with them to add a bus or truck policy.

The two main rules of thumb are to make sure you don't use the word "bus" and work with a knowledgeable insurance broker.  Lets examine each.

The first order of business is to get your bus registered as a motorhome.  Each state has "formulas" as to what is needed to get the motorhome status.  In Colorado you need some form of cooking, toilet, and electricity as I recall.  When I did my bus I used a camp stove, porta-potty and small inverter (best my tired ole memory can recall).  In any case, once you get the RV/Motorhome status, it will be easier to get insurance (sort of {grin}). 

The next recommendation is to work with an "insurance broker" (as opposed to an insurance agent).  The difference being that the broker works with several insurance companies.  They tend to know how to "work" the insurance game. 

I worked with Miller Insurance:  Link  At the first few Bus Conversion Rallies John Miller used to show up in his bus that was named "Miller Time".  He was a great guy and knew what it took to get bus conversions insured.  John is gone, but some of his family still run the business.  It has been a few years since I worked with them, but they were great folks.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Seann
Bus Model: 1984 Model 10, conversion completed in 2002.

Re: Insurance Companies

Post by Seann »

In case it's helpful, we have had a very good experience with Farm and City Insurance out of Iowa. They write policies for Progressive and Safeco, the two companies they recommend for RV insurance. We use Progressive, starting in 2018 with an Airstream and truck, and now have an Eagle and toad with them.

Jim is right, using a broker is much better. I can say from personal experience that they can get things done with Progressive that I cannot. They represent thousands of clients, so they carry weight with Progressive. Dealing with them as a single policy holder is a very different story.

I have also heard good things about Miller, we simply couldn't use him as we are registered in a state that not everyone covers. Regardless of who you use, Progressive might be willing to insure your RV if an agent with a lot of clients requests a quote...

1984 Eagle Model 10