Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Model 01 (or other models) pros and cons. What do you love and hate?

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
XtrapepperoniartX

Model 01 (or other models) pros and cons. What do you love and hate?

Post by XtrapepperoniartX »

Instead of asking questions about my specific bus, I thought I would ask more general questions just because I'm curious. I can see a lot of love for Eagles on this site and I want to know what makes everyone fall in love with them. And also what might make a person shy away from particular years and models? I am specifically asking more about the model 01, but would love to know about any of the models as I may be in the market for one in the future.

onto the questions:

1. What do you love or hate about the model 01 (or other models). I'm just looking for general info on pros and cons.

I think we are all aware that rust on an older model is the primary "con", so I am more interested in the less obvious cons as well as what technology was used that simply wasn't up to snuff and got improved over time with newer models.

Also though, what did they do right that is worth mentioning? Or what makes you love the model 01? Personally, I love that vintage flair!

2. I have also noticed many of you own several Eagles. What made you choose the Eagle bus over other companies? What are the pros and cons of Eagles in general?

Would love to hear what everyone has to say! Thanks!

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Model 01 (or other models) pros and cons. What do you love and hate?

Post by beltguy »

Wow, lots of questions here.  Let me pick away at a couple of them. 

As mentioned in the other thread, the potential issues with an 01 are age, rust, non-available Torsilastics, and small brake hardware.  The biggest advantage is the drive wheels being in front of the tag wheels and that makes engine swaps much easier. An 01 in reasonable condition in the hands of a skilled welder/craftsman can be a thing of wonder.

Most Eagle owners love their buses because of the classic style and the excellent suspension.  Most buses in the era did not have independent front suspensions and their air suspension systems were very crude by today's standards.

The tube frame structure of the Eagle makes them easy to modify (and repair).

Lets start there and see if others chime in.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.