Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Simplified Spambot Registration Process

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Simplified Spambot Registration Process

Post by beltguy »

I have simplified the anti-spambot process in the hopes that the improved security of our upgraded platform will help catch fake registration applications.

This is only involves new membership registration applications. 

In the past with our old software, we would get a huge number of fake applications.  We have had almost no fake applications in the past few months.  Unfortunately, we made two changes that could have affected the low fake count.  First we changed the spambot question to a rather complicated format and about the same time we upgraded the software platform.  Both could have affected the results.  That said, my experience suggests it is the platform that has helped significantly.  As a test, I have changed the qualifying question to a much simpler format.  Time will tell if  we will need to go back to a more complicated question.

As background information, there are several methods of screening out fake (bot) applications.  One of the most popular today is what is called "reCAPCHA" where they ask you to click on the box that says "I am not a robot".  Seems simple enough, but it is very complex and relies of a huge Google database to detect the characteristics of the application information entry process.  On top of that, there is a significant of "back-end" on my part to make it operational for our site.

Most "experts" favor the "Q and A" process which we use today.  It is pretty simple to set up (and maintain) and can be very effective based on the question.  Over the past few months our question has been rather complicated and has "turned off" a few applicants.  We have used multiple questions that alternate for each application.  I have reduced that to one rather simple question. 

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Simplified Spambot Registration Process

Post by rusty »

I was unable to get on the site for a  couple of days said I used wrong password to many time. I did enter the wrong password but I thought I only did it once or twice. Then when I answered the recapture thing it said it was wrong.  Your tweaking of the process must have made the computer feel sorry for me and let back on.
Thank you Jim for all you do to keep things going g around here
Wayne 
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Simplified Spambot Registration Process

Post by beltguy »

Hi folks

Well it has been over two weeks since I simplified the registration spambot question.  I am absolutely blown away that we have not had one spam application.  With our very outdated software version, I would often get 10-20 fake applications per day!

I did a quick test application (took maybe 3 minutes) and it came through just fine.

Apparently, the updated platform has some sort of spam detection process that works in the background.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.