Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

New to group

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
ROBRICE1
Bus Model: 1957 gold eagle

New to group

Post by ROBRICE1 »

Hello all, I am new to this group.. My wife and I are from from Texas. We just acquired a 1957 golden eagle bus.. needs a tone of work but, we are very excited to get this project up and running.. The bus has the 8v71 detroit with an Alison automatic transmission.. I am in search of any kind of service manual, technical information,  wiring diagrams.. I've got this monster running but we seem to have issues with the motor running away after it idles for a few minutes.  As well as i can't seem to find a neutral position in the transmission. Motor sounds amazing for an engine that has not run in 20 years.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. 
Attachments
16089_resized.jpg
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: New to group

Post by beltguy »

Hi Rob.  Welcome to the group. 

Wow, you have a piece of history.  Congratulations and have fun with the project.

The first order of business is to find a reputable two stroke mechanic and have them "run the rack" and make any governor adjustments.  I would suggest you not start the engine again until you are sure that none of the injectors are stuck partially open (part of the rack adjustment).   A real run away engine is scary and very difficult to stop (can only do it by stopping the air going into the engine).

Finding a reputable two stroke mechanic is a challenge today.  If you are close to the coastal area, you might try to find a boat mechanic as many are still two strokes.

If you are a skilled mechanic, you could try running the rack yourself, but the manuals do not document the "special touch" that is required to do the job properly.

I have bumped a "vendor" thread up to the top of the active list.  It needs updating but some of the vendors are still active.  I would suggest you try Phoenix Global (link in vendor thread) and see what they have for your Eagle.  They have many manuals and some parts.

There is a ton of technical information on this forum.  You can try searching for specific information.  Or simply ask a question and we will point you to a reference or try to answer your question.

I strongly suggest you start a project thread for your Eagle.  We love project threads and it is a good place to ask questions.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
ROBRICE1
Bus Model: 1957 gold eagle

Post by ROBRICE1 »

Thanks Jim,,
I will definitely be making a project thread.. I've already found a bunch of great info on here.. kinda new to this kind of forum little hard to navigate. as for the run away it was scary,  had to shot the emergency air valve on the top of the motor to get it stopped. 
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

That sure sounds like one or more stuck injectors.  Do not try to start again until you get rack in operating order.  You could try to get the injectors to open and close correctly and not do a full "run the rack".

Tell us where you are and maybe we can help find a mechanic.  Stewart Stevenson has several locations and they might have someone who can help you.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.