Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Silver eagle emblem restoration

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Signhelp

Silver eagle emblem restoration

Post by Signhelp »

Hello all! 
I am working on restoring a Silver eagle emblem salvaged from a bus long gone and I am in need of touching up some paint.  Specifically the gold on the letters.  I have searched the forums as best as I could and looked online but have not been able to find a reference of what color was used originally or that others may have used to restore a similar project.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Another long shot option is finding a replacement letter "I" in silver to replace the aluminum letter completely.  Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.  
- Ryan 
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Silver eagle emblem restoration

Post by beltguy »

Ryan welcome to the forum. 

I think we need to see a picture of the emblem you are restoring so that we can attempt to better answer your question. 

Posting photos is a pretty simple process (click on "attachment" and upload a photo from your computer).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Ryan,

Your chances of matching paint colors after they have been in the sun for decades are not good. You would have to custom mix paint to be able to touch up existing colors. The best long term solution, appearance wise, would be to remove the individual letters to paint them, and the other components of the emblem as well. Everything on it is aluminum plate or cast aluminum. On the back you will see tiny brass screws that attach each individual part. It is best to have a screwdriver bit that fits the slot very well, and to soak the screws in penetrating oil for a long time. If you strip the screw, then you will have to drill the screw out and re-tap the threads. As far as the missing "I" goes, the chances of getting one off a damaged emblem are not great. You would have better luck shaping a piece of aluminum stock into the correct shape. Thank goodness it is not one of the other letters. The measurements of the "I" are 5/8" wide at the bottom, 7/8" wide at the top, and the letter is 1 15/16" tall. The thickness should match the other letters.
Attachments
007.JPG
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Signhelp

Post by Signhelp »

20220329_104608.jpg
Thank you all for the advice.  Hopefully I attached the photo correctly.  
The "I" in question is there but someone drilled a hole in it.  I patched the hole with bondo and will sand it flush.  Just hoping to get the color matched decently.  The hole was about 3/16th and I'm wondering if touching up the paint on the patch might be less noticeable than repainting the complete letter.  

Thank you again for any help possible, I might be stuck choosing it off a color wheel.