Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1971 model 05 parts bus

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: 1971 model 05 parts bus

Post by beltguy »

Wayne called and let me know you were coming.  Unfortunately I will not be able to make it :oops:

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Successful rescue! Wayne came over, very helpful, he knew exactly which stores to go to;) Thanks for dropping by Wayne :)

Got to the site, Started by walking around bus, tires looked good, seem to be recaps, dated 2019. So that was a plus. Engine was full of oil, miter box had oil. Put about 3 gallons of coolant in bus. Started looking at wiring, and fixing throttle pedal linkage which only had about half travel. Ended up lubing everything and getting a stronger return spring. Which worked great. Whipped together a quick battery mount, for batteries from our bus. Greased all clutch linkage.

Pulled intake apart so we could block off in case of runaway.  Hooked batteries up, cranked and fired almost immediately. Plenty of smoke.

Noticed that it wasn't charging, hooked up alternator to batteries, still no charging.:?  Barely building air.

Headlights turned on, could not see any running lights. Brake and turn was barely visible lol.

Decided to pull out of ruts so we could have better access to every thing. 

Put in gear, slowly let off clutch, clutch all the way off, engine idling happily....

Might have a problem lol. 

Then we decided to use pickup to pull bus out of ruts. Thought the brakes were stuck, turns out, parking brake was still on :oops:

Moved it about 2 feet with the pickup. LOL

Then I remembered... parking brake interlock! Duh! lol. Full service brake application and bingo! Parking brakes released.

Pulled er out of the ruts it was sitting in, started looking at clutch linkage, turns out it was the external linkage out of adjustment holding clutch away from flywheel 24/7.

Adjusted that out about 1"

Then pulled front tires, greased everything within sight, adjusted brakes, (which were barely out of adjustment) and found the broken airline. Luckily Wayne said he knew exactly which parts store to go to and it was not a big deal to replace line. 

We threw front tires back on, picked up all our tools and pulled out of the Richie Bros yard about 7 minutes before closing time.

Dad and basil decided to leave immediately to get as much sunlight as they could in the bus and new pickup. I headed over to Waynes and got a tour and also picked up a bluebird steering box. Got on the interstate 40 miles behind dad, and booked it. finally caught em when they stopped in Wray, CO. Turns out taillights were just too dim to see during the day. They were visible (kinda) at night. Everything was going well, but dad requested a few zipties to hold doors shut. Also complained about dim headlights. I told him I wasn't having any problems with dim headlights :lol:

So, Trip was successful.  Bus was in fairly decent condition as we had hoped for. Wiring has been hacked many many times, but luckily all worked so I did not touch it lol. Pretty rusty bus. Probably will end up in the scrap yard after we pull everything out of it.  Main thing we want is entire front end for our bus which is in super good shape. About 4" of threads for adjustment left. And being a modern front end compared to our 01 style front end.

Here's the short video I edited together.  https://youtube.com/shorts/da4T54UO7Dc?feature=share
Attachments
7229F83F-2B05-4B61-909A-C11195294BAF.jpeg
9157A86B-6818-440F-BFAE-0D0A896F34C9.jpeg
B3CC761E-9E5A-474C-9180-672253183E89.jpeg
DC6FD69D-C3F5-42FD-8B1D-F29012F81C12.jpeg
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mason, thanks for the update.  Sorry I could not make it for a quick visit.

So, what are the plans for this bus?  Almost looks too good to scrap out.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

beltguy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:10 am Mason, thanks for the update.  Sorry I could not make it for a quick visit.

So, what are the plans for this bus?  Almost looks too good to scrap out.

Jim

I agree jim bus is super straight. There is tons of under carriage rust, unfortunately. We have not yet decided exactly what to do with it. It will probably end up be parted. I would like to throw the front end under our bus so we have the front end everyone can get parts for.

Redoing the house wiring in the basement would basically be all you'd have to do you live in this bus. You would just ignore the rust lol
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus