Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

The New Forum Software is Up and Running

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: The New Forum Software is Up and Running

Post by beltguy »

I finally got around to uploading the latest language pack so that all of the funky looking labels and buttons now have the proper look to them. 

While we have had some new registrations, I am still a bit concerned that the registration process.  We are not getting any spam applications.  Perhaps that is the result of the much better security with the updated forum platform. 

It has now been over three months since we did the MAJOR conversion to the newest platform and we have not had any reported major problems (fingers crossed {grin}). 

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Great news Jim.
And a big shout out of THANK YOU for all that you do!

Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Glad to hear Jim! Forum interface looking great!
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I have continued to be suspicious that we had a registration issue.  Today I received an email from a person who had a problem.  Fortunately he sent me a screen shot of his entry data.  I used that data to register him and discovered a very strange problem.  In the photo below you will see one of the spambot countermeasure questions that we present to folks registering in an attempt to minimize spam applications.

20220330 spambot countermeasure problem.jpg

You will note that the question seems a bit complicated, but it is pretty easy to respond to the question  -------- except the new software puts a ":" at the end of the question (the old software did not).  So it is easy to answer the question incorrectly.  I have changed  the wording so that folks do not include the ":".

New software versions always have these seemingly insignificant changes that can drive you crazy (or as Pat would say, crazier  :D )

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Update 5/1/2022.  As noted in the announcement block our new upgrade was accomplished 5 months ago.

In that 5 months, there have been no major problems that I am aware of and various minor issues have been resolved.

While it has been said many times, this major upgrade was really not optional.  The very old platform really exposed us to lots of spam and security issues.  We were fortunate that we did not have any attacks.

Probably the major concern was registration issues.  I think those issues have been resolved.  Indeed, I am starting to get spam applications.  The upgrade seems to have minimized the huge blasts of spam applications.

Again, please let me know if you have any issues with the forum.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Jim, I just have to say, Attaching photos on the new software is a breeze! I love it!
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Update 5/25/2022.  Well, we had a big crash and I am very frustrated.

It started off by some members getting drastic warning pages that our sites should be avoided as a security risk.  I had already added a new website security service from GoDaddy, but it did not get activated  (our old security package ended on 5/22 without notice - long story not worth repeating).  When they did activate the service, they had to change some internal addresses and that cratered both our website and forum.  Over the period of two days I was on the phone several hours with several technicians (including several offshore idiots).  I finally got a USA tech person who resolved the issue in about a half hour by making changes to the site/forum internal structure.

In spite of some dire warnings, both our website and forum have always been secure and have maximum firewall protection.

A part of my frustration is that Pat and I were traveling in our truck/trailer and I should have had lots of leisure time instead of trying to get us back up and running.  To top thing off, we did not have the best phone and internet service.

Another factor in my frustration is that I had the same security service added to my personal sites and they crashed them as well.  As was the case here I spent many hours and talked to several technical folks.  The problem was a bit different.  Somehow they linked to a very old website I created for Pat and could not find a way to activate the new WordPress website.  I ended up having to fix the situation myself by going into the file structure level.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank you Jim hope we didn't ruin you trip. I knew when the security thing came up you were on it
Thank you Wayne p
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

I have mentioned previously that my "go too" tool for looking at the forum is the "active topics" option in the "Quick links" menu at the top of each page (you must be logged in to see that menu).

In the past the active topics list was a rolling 7 day list.  When our forum has minimal traffic, the screen is blank if no action has taken place in 7 days (happens once in a while). 

I have now change the code for the active search so that a large number of topics (from all the forums) are listed.  I think that will help our new members "catch" up with recent posts.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank you Jim. The active post is a nice feature I use everyday. It saves a lot of time. Thank you for all you do.
Wayne