Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1999 12.7L series 60 oil pan

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

1999 12.7L series 60 oil pan

Post by Eagle obsessed »

I’m asking here before I go to BCM.... but:

On my oil pan there is a large patch, which I’m assuming is jb weld. The patch is the only place on engine that leaks, and it does not provide any comfort thinking what would happen if it fell off.

So the question is, I have oil pan number from Jim’s project pages. But what else do I need besides oil pan? Do I need a gasket? Bolts? I’ve never taken a oil pan off so... comment away please ;)
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: 1999 12.7L series 60 oil pan

Post by beltguy »

Mason, the first question is whether the pan you have is a shallow pan. If it is, it might be worth trying to salvage it. Some shallow pans are aluminum and some are composite as I recall. Aluminum would be easy to repair. Composite will require some research to see the best method.

As noted above, Detroit has several versions of the shallow pan. All of them are quite pricey as I recall - maybe $200. All of the rest of the parts I listed are probably needed to replace a truck type pan system.

I would guess that your pan is shallow since it came out of a Blue Bird as I recall. If that is the case and you can find the same one new, I think you only need a gasket.

The pan and dipstick combinations are numerous. There are several bosses on the engine for various dipstick locations. Each location requires a specific dipstick tube. I assume you will not have to deal with that. If you do, you should calibrate the dipstick with the pan off and make sure the full mark is 1 inch below the pan rail (going from memory here so be careful to make sure that will give you good coverage of the pickup tube).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Jim I’ve found several bus pans, just wondered what else i needed. Looks like only the gasket.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

As noted above, some of my comments are coming from years ago experience so make sure you do some good assembly "troubleshooting".

You are probably correct about only needing the gasket. That comment is based on the assumption that you currently have a shallow pan. If you don't have a shallow pan, you will need many of the parts I have listed.

As I recall, the pan bolts are a shoulder type and there are more that one length. When you assemble the pan, you should be able to tell if your pan bolts work correctly.

Even if you have a shallow pan, you should make sure to "eyeball" the pickup to make sure it will pick up oil when the oil level is an inch or so low (2 inches below the pan rail on the engine). Also make sure the dip stick/tube combination is calibrated so that it shows full when 1 inch below rail - easy to do with the pan off.

As best my memory recalls, there are several shallow pan part numbers. I would suspect that the pan/pickup might be unique package for each part number.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

BTW, in the old days when Series 60 conversions were popular your "stash" of shallow pans would better than investing in gold :D :D
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Jim, I don’t have a stash yet :D I just meant I found them on a few places online. I found a full article about replacing a pan, which stated that engines after April or ‘99 have reusable gaskets. Since mine is a December ’99 engine I should have the reusable gasket. That said I may still get a new one. My engine came with the bus pan. I may just call a dealer and see if they have my pan number, or a source. I’d be fine with buying somewhat local... ;)