Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Monaco Eagle I Conversion Line

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F477671
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Re: Monaco Eagle I Conversion Line

Post by Eagle Driver »

Thank you Mason.

The original 11 x 24.5s were eventually replaced with the current 315/80R 22.5s. It is definitely a beefy tire upgrade. With the coach scaling at close to 44,700 lbs. GVWR, the heavier load tire truly serves a purpose, but it is a little wide.

I was told the owner that originally installed the upgrade met up with Mr. "Unintended Consequence" on his first trip out with the new tires. Seems the inner duals have a very limited clearance with regard to the inside coach frame. The result was the wider tires rubbing a hole in the secondary air lines supplying the rear coach leveling system. Must have been a challenging trip.

I'm hoping to resurrect the leveling system at a future date. Unfortunately, the coach is demanding younger tires first. It was so much easier when I only had the responsibility of driving these puppies. Ah, the joys of bus ownership... So cool! :D
Mike

1988 Eagle Model 15 - Monaco Eagle I Conversion
DDC 8V92TA DDEC; Allison HT755CR ATEC
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mike, I am curious about what you call a "leveling system". That sounds like it may be airbags that someone has added. If that is the case, I would move that project up the list of to do items.

With your bus scaling out at 44,700 pounds, you are well above the rated GVW of the factory bus (usually in the 38K range). As a result, you are overloading the Torsilastics. That would be particularly true if the bogeys are not adjusted properly.

If you have airbags, they can take a significant part of the load off the Torsilastics and make them live longer.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Jim, I believe that you could get airbags factory installed on the model 15

Look at this page, there are some pics from an Eagle manual showing airbags. http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... edc#p32515
Mike, if they are factory they shouldn’t be too hard to resurrect, depending on how long they have not been used.
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

Jim - The air bags were part of the Monaco conversion and only usable when the coach was parked. I understand the air was dumped from the leveling system before the coach could be driven. The Torsilastics are the suspension as with other Eagles. As for the rest, I agree, but - ironically - it is within posted specs "on paper," which doesn't solve the underlying weight issue.

A bunch of files came with the coach. Bless my three prior coach owners. Aside from the gold mine Eagle/DDC parts/maintenance books (and Eagle Driver Manual), the docs that caught my attention from a historical perspective were the original delivery documents as well as owner research and sales brochures. An original "Eagle Model 15 Motor Home Shell SPECIFICATIONS" sheet stated the MH version had a GVWR of 44,700 lbs. To add to the intrigue, I also have a copy - it might have been the certificate of origin - citing my original high driver unfinished MH shell in 1987 had a GVWR of just under 40K. This is consistent with your statements and my understanding of the seated coach weight from my driving days.

I ran across a video link in this forum over the weekend. (I'll try to revise the post with the correct reference links) There was a group discussion about Eagles at a bus convention - historical names from the business most of you would likely be familiar with. There was a brief reference to GVWR near the end of the video where it was stated the Eagle Entertainer and MH configurations did have a higher official GVWR than the seated variant - "but that was mainly on paper." That statement put a pit in my stomach.

Yes - the coach is heavy. I had the ride height adjusted last fall and no adjustment remains in the Torsilastics for another one. I know I have suspension and front end work in my future. I'm in research mode at the moment.

For reference, the coach has just over 230k original frame/engine miles and came off the assembly line in 1987.
Last edited by Eagle Driver on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I do recall that Eagle installed some single (per side) airbags and I think they were only for leveling.

It will be interesting to see what Mike has for airbags.

I recall reading that Eagle had heavy duty Torsilastics for the front axle (14K), but I don't recall that they had them for the drive axle.

The fact that the coach has 230K miles and that the Torsilastics are out of adjustment screw make me nervous. That suggests to me that the Torsilastics are in a near death mode.

Adapting dual airbags (per side) is not a huge project for a person with good fabrication and welding skills. I will try to link to some threads that discuss the modification shortly.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

I thought that there were several threads on air spring conversion (for rear axle) but I only found the following thread:

https://eagles-international.net/forums ... fdd4f60621

That said, it is a great thread with a lot of details. As an update, I did not get copies of the Meeks drawings, nor have I seen any design for the bogey axles.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Very interesting about the higher GVWR
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I'd like to throw a monkey wrench into all the air bag discussions. I recently discovered a product for various sized trucks called Timbren Suspension Enhanacement Systems (timbren.com), which amounts to a semi-solid rubber spring that is mounted on the frame over the axle. There are many sizes that cover light, medium, and heavy duty trucks, and RV's. It needs to be considered for the Eagle as either a supplement or capacity replacement for aging torsilastics. Replacing the torsilastics costs thousands, plus labor if you hire it out. These might do the job and cost considerably less. My concerns are whether they would have an appropriate range of motion, and not change the ride quality. They would take up less space than rolling lobe air bags, and would not interfere with fuel fillers, air lines, and air tanks such as in the double air bag setups that have been done a lot lately. I volunteer Mason to try them out, he has a fairly heavy Eagle (of unknown tonnage), and he knows how to fabricate and weld really well. ;)

I suspect the airbag configuration that involved the CAD designs with the elaborate plates and brackets added a lot of weight and caused interference with a lot of things in the way. It certainly looked very strong, but it might have been stronger than necessary. The fabricator might have also been concerned about commercial liability if he produced the product for others to use. The double air bag design with the support legs welded to the Torsilastic tube seems to have relocation problems, and it personally makes me sick to see torsilastc tubes welded crudely (in most cases I have seen). If the welds were sound, what would the effect be on the rubber within the tube? At the least, if I were going that route, I would fabricate clamps that would straddle the Torsilastic, and bolt in place. My other option is to take good tubes off my parts Eagles and put them in. It should only take a day or so. :o No matter what, there is a lot of work involved.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

Eagle Driver wrote:The air bags were part of the Monaco conversion and only usable when the coach was parked. I understand the air was dumped from the leveling system before the coach could be driven.
For the purpose of accuracy, I’d like to correct an error in my last post. The bags were installed by Eagle at the factory. They are shown in the Eagle MH Supplement binder. However, the leveling system could only be used when the coach was parked.

Please continue to share your suspension upgrade suggestions. I’m taking notes.
Mike

Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

I am adding some of the promised documentation I referenced previously: Leveler System, MH Specs, and the Monaco Eagle I Sales brochure for giggles. I have a slight variation of floor plan 101. I find the files an interesting snapshot in time.

I did confirm the Certificate of Origin does state the the shell GVWR rating was 39,500 lbs. when it was transferred to Eagle Motorhome Sales in October 1987. The Shell Specifications sheet references a GVWR of 44,700 lbs. as a finished conversion. That difference is interesting. I'm still looking for the video link.

As I review the leveling system schematics, I'm wondering how much additional modifications would need to be required for a conversion to air suspension or a variation there of. I believe some of the rear suspension mods suggested a similar mounting point.

Lastly, I have found Roger Rice's name on a number of fluid sampling reports in the coach files. I'm guessing he was a former owner of my coach. I believe I saw his name referenced on a thread or two.
Attachments
Monaco Eagle I Sales Broch.pdf
Monaco Eagle I Sales Brochure
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
Eagle M15 MH Shell Specs.pdf
Eagle Model 15 Motor Home Specifications Sheet
(536.03 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Eagle MHO Leveler2.pdf
Leveling System 2
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 351 times
Eagle MHO Leveler1.pdf
Leveling System 1