Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Wiring for trailer lights

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
jcb
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Wiring for trailer lights

Post by jcb »

I have a 1983 Model 10 Eagle that has been used for touring its entire life. I would like to get it wired up for pulling a trailer this fall. The existing shreds of previous wiring have, over the years, become a rats nest of oil covered mass of indiscernible wires, that I would like to tear out and redo. Anyone have a surefire, minimally complicated (I know that’s a tough one) design for trailer wiring? I know it’s a 5 wire set-up, when most vehicles are 4, but it sure would be nice if this project didn’t turn into a major pain.
Thanks!!
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
Tour Bus Conversion Ex-Senator Coach
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Re: Wiring for trailer lights

Post by Jim H »

Hello Jim, Look under the articles file in the Info section on this website for the tail light conversion article written by our Jim Shepherd, great source of information on a project like yours. I used a commercially manufactured convertor on my 01 Eagle but the setup shown is a better option, for sure.
Have fun!

Jim H
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Wiring for trailer lights

Post by beltguy »

I can think of three options for the 5 to 4 conversion for a trailer/toad.

The first is to wire the trailer/toad for the separate brake light option. That means that you will have to make a nonstandard wiring of the typical 7 pin connector.

The second option is to use a commercial converter. That is pretty simple from a wiring standpoint. However, my experience is that they are not well made and tend to fail fairly early in their life.

My approach was to use a custom relay based circuit as described in the article posted on our website. It is not that hard to fabricate and is quite reliable. If one of the relays fails it is easy to replace.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.