Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: Frodnew's 1989, Model 15, 6v92, 102" wide

Post by Bus & Car »

Problem Solved!!!!!!!

The 80 tells me that it's an ex-Trailways, Inc. Model 15 coach.

The 123 says it's the 123rd Model 15 for Trailways. It carried the Greyhound number of 0763 and was likely used in cross country service.

The first four went to Continental Dixie Lines as 12201 to 12204. They were later given Greyhound numbers. The rest went new to Greyhound and were numbered in the Greyhound system of bus numbers which had four digits.

Greyhound ordered 156 Model 15's plus the four ex-Trailways coaches for a total of 160. Some of these may have been used in commuter operations. Later on they operated other Eagles that were either repossessed or else were buses that were leased out when new and returned to Greyhound at the end of their leases..
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Post by frodnew »

Jim:

Thank you for that reply. I'll certainly do some more reading. There's so much to learn!
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Hi Eagle Fam!

Updates on my Eagle have been slow due to it's location in NC and the weather. The bus is going to be moved about an hour and a half closer to the seller so he can put on 6 new tires and give it a good servicing. I was going to head up north from Florida to get it but had issues with the VIN pulling it up as a coach so the seats were pulled out and all that's left after the service and tires will be to put some camp (RV) stuff in it providing the minimum of what's required to be a "House Car" as they call them in NC and get it titled and insured as an RV.
Insuring a coach as an RV is more difficult in Fla as it appears, especially if it's not already titled as an RV or professionally done. More updates in a few weeks but wanted to say that I'm so grateful for this site and all who keep it up and running. Thank you!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Eric, thanks for the update.

As you may notice in the header note, it looks like our forum will continue for the foreseeable future. Please keep us updated.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Update:
As of yesterday, the bus was moved closer to the seller's location in order to work on the bus easier (Denver, NC). The drive was about an hour and a half and she drove great. Once there, six new tires were put on which was part of the purchase agreement and a service is coming up.
Very excited at this point to see she made it through two terrible hurricanes unscathed. More to come!
Attachments
Bus at Marty's 10_2018.jpg
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone:

The latest update on our bus is that she's ready to go. Six new tires put on, the passenger windshield was replaced due to a crack, new batteries, the engine has had it's filters and fluids changed and it runs like a champ! That being said, some creativity was done to put the states requirements inside it to make it look like it's being converted into what North Carolina calls a House Car and voila! We are now titled as a House Car! Talk about pressure because the bus right after ours was a Prevost owned by some famous country stars getting re-titled, too!!

She's sitting pretty as the photo above shows and I'll be going to get her in Dec. when things on my end slow down. If the weather stays as warm as it's been down here in Florida, it'll make for one great season of moving onto the next steps. Now, to find some insurance so I can be legal when I drive!

Anyone have ideas of who to contact? Florida is a difficult state to insure an Eagle even if the title says HC or what we all call an RV.

Gobble, gobble!!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Remember to not use the word "bus" when describing your Eagle Coach. it is a "house car" or "RV", depending on the lingo in your state. Use an independent agent that can check with several companies. Be prepared for rejection based on coach age, not being able to find values in their guide books, etc. Don't volunteer too much information, just answer their questions honestly. Overly enthusiastic coach owners have occasionally talked their way out of being covered because they go into detail about all the modifications they are going to do. Some companies are not keen on do-it-yourselfers. Keep looking until you find the right match at a fair price. Start with liability, then consider comprehensive and collision when the coach is further along and the value to you increases. You can probably only get agreed value placed on the coach; book values don't exist.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
frodnew

Post by frodnew »

Walter:

Thank you for the reply. I took your advise and called up quite a few companies based on good reports of other "RVers" who full time that I've spoken to; granted, they have an RV. What you said couldn't have been said better. I called, always said House Car and RV but as soon as I got into the "type" of RV it is and sometimes the VIN, the response I would always get is, "OH, that's a BUS!" I don't have to tell you what happened next. Some answers are as followed:
- It's not an RV or House Car
- It's unacceptable or unfamiliar with our policies
- Nothing older than 1999
- The conversion must be done by a professional with photos we need to review and it could still be denied
- Let me connect you with our commercial department, this is not an RV
- Even though the title says House Car and the seats are stripped out, it's still a coach
- Yadda, yadda, yadda...George Constanza

One company, AIS Insurance, seemed to have what I was looking for. Their website offers 3 types of insurance for buses including Skoolies. However, no matter how you slice/dice the wording on the website, the agent said the Eagle is in the middle on all of them. However, luck did come my way when she asked if I could use it as a business. As a musician who performs for children, the answer was yes. Then, she took off like a rocket asking me simple questions and voila, I had a quote! I had planned to use my bus as a business like this anyway but was glad she asked before I forgot to.

The fine print you ask? I asked for the state requirements on liability which was 10,000/20,000/10,000 - 12 mo. premium for $609.
The bus is still in NC so I asked what bumping it up to 100/300/50 would do and she quoted me at $1173 but if paid full for a year, it would be $1011 with a small price reduction.
Other exceptions to the rule about this policy is that it's a long term policy (1 yr), not short term, ie, 3 mo's or 6 and wait! Here's the best part (sarcasm suggested) I cannot use the bus more than 30 calendar days camping overnight! PLEASE, anyone reading this please explain how they would know if I was in this more than 30 calendar days? Camping is camping. Visiting people is visiting people. Is there something here that I'm not aware of that insurance companies do like follow you with a drone? Or, was this her way of simply saying that (under her breath and by law) she has to say it and there really is no way for the company to know?

When I got the quote, I noticed like with many other quotes I received in email from previous research that it came from Progressive. It seems in the state of Fla that Progressive umbrellas everyone or nearly everyone but I'll keep calling and researching. At least I have one good quote for now. Suggestions and comments always appreciated!!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Without question you should work through a broker. Over the years many of us have used Miller Insurance: http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/. Many years ago Mr. Miller had a Prevost conversion name "Miller Time" and came to all the major bus rallies. His daughter Cheryl took over when he passed away and used to attend all the FMCA shows.

I have heard that they are not as helpful as they used to be, but I would still try them. They for sure know about bus conversions.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Florida might not be an insurance friendly state. I pay $275 for a year of 300,000/500,000 liability on my 1984 Model 10 (Pekin Insurance). It is listed as a Motorcoach with RV title & plates. Using yours for business may trigger a requirement for commercial plates, inspections, and commercial driver license. She sounded eager because her commission went up with the premium. The thing about a 30 day camping limit sounds arbitrary and unenforceable. Maybe it is a Florida thing because they don't want you to be in one spot too long because of the sinkholes. ;)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746