Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Air pressure & hello

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Florida Eagle
FMCA #: F463073
Bus Model: 1989 Silver Eagle/Model 20

Air pressure & hello

Post by Florida Eagle »

Greetings from central Florida from a bus newbie seduced by the siren call of an iconic 1989 Silver Eagle. I'm a 4-year full-timer and, until 3 months ago, comfortably residing in a 40' Monaco Dynasty with 2 slides. Fate intervened and the rest is history. The classic good looks of the Eagle sold me and the Monaco went quickly to a new home. I'm really looking forward to being a part of the Eagle community. I of course have many questions. But to start off, what is the average air pressure for Eagles underway at highway speed? How long on average should it take after a cold overnight start to reach underway pressure? After shutting down, how long should the tanks retain air pressure? My suspicion is I have an air leak (or other cause?) because it takes at least 15 min to just reach 90 lbs. and it does not rise much over 90. Thoughts on where to start? Thanks in advance, colleagues.
Steven
1989 Silver Eagle, NJT Model 20
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
(Converted NJ Transit Bus)
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Air pressure & hello

Post by akroyaleagle »

Welcome,

Sounds like the D2 governor needs changing. About $20 last time I bought one. Located on top or to the side of the air compressor. Pretty easy job.

Go to DMV and get a free copy of the Commercial Drivers Manual. Read the section on air brakes pre trip inspection and it will answer all your other question and more.

Hope this helps!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thanks Joe, really appreciate the info!
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi Steven. Welcome to our forum.

Joe has indicated the most likely problem. That said, our air brake systems are pretty complex with lots of components that can develop problems. Bendix publishes their Air Brake Handbook on line. I will add it to our library when I get a chance.

Several years ago I wrote an article for our Eagles Chapter Newsletter. It covers your question and a lot more. I have attached a PDF of that article:
Eagles International article on air brake.pdf
(24.2 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
The commercial guideline is that the air pressure should increase from 85 PSI to 100 PSI in 45 seconds with the engine at high idle. They make provisions for system configuration. However, you can see that your system does not come close to being acceptable.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thank you Jim, I have been reading up on air systems & slowly boosting my air IQ. I appreciate all the info!
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Check all the tank drain the automatic DV-2 drains are a problem sometimes ,I just replaced all of mine because of small air leaks every one was leaking
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Update: I replaced D-2 governor with new Bendix and crossed my fingers. But I'm never that lucky. No change. I bought new DV-2 drains so I'll start replacing those. Two questions: (1) what is likelihood of compressor itself needing replacement? (2) anyone know of a competent mobile mechanic in or near central Florida? Thanks
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

It could be the compressor, but there are lots of other things.
You didn't say where in Florida you live. I am in Polk City FL just north of Lakeland. If you would like to meet others in area we are having a rally this coming week end. Go to
SEBUSNUTS.org for the info.
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

I am in Ocala. I look forward to joining you when the Eagle can fly again.
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

Thinking back to 1986 when I brought my Eagle home, there was a bad air leak. Found it when I got home, open quarter in line in the bathroom. What may help you would be to use a compressor at the back air input. If you have a leak it is hard to find it with the engine running. Use a outside air compressor that can stay running and it may make it easer. Leave the compressor on and get a bottle of soapie water go looking.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member