Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Technical Details on Spicer 4-Speed

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
davido
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F419796
Bus Model: 1970 Model 05. VIN8284. 8V71N. Voith 4 Manual.

Technical Details on Spicer 4-Speed

Post by davido »

So I think I have the Spicer 4-sipped in my bus. I'm not ever sure, really. But I'm trying to find out what model it is so that I can find out more technical details on it.

Specifically, I'm not currently able to get it in reverse. I'm not sure if it's an electrical or mchanical issue. I'm thinking it may be an electrical issue as it seems I've had a critter visit behind the dash. There are a few wires with chew marks. I'm just not sure how the trans works, so in not sure where to start, outside of some multimeter work.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
DavidO - 1970 Model 05 #8284 - http://www.tinyurl.com/1970silvereagle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
proudeagle10
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 142221
Bus Model: Pipe Creek, TX
1980 model 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. Shiftier

Re: Technical Details on Spicer 4-Speed

Post by proudeagle10 »

I'LL try to keep simple and not get to technical. So that I don't lose you or get myself lost.
Basically the transmission is all mechanical. The only electrics going to it. Is to power an electrical solenoid (big) on top of the transmission. When you depress the reverse button, your shiftier inside the bus should be in neutral position. Here's where I don't want to get to technical. The second gear is also used for the reverse gear. The solenoid is bolted to the top of the trans. When the button is depress. It sends power to the solenoid, the solenoid arm moves. Moving a gear out of the way, so that the second gear will move in place. Now being the reverse gear.

What you can do is, put power to the bus and move the shiftier to the neutral position. You don't have to start the bus. Have some one depress the reverse button. Go to the right side rear of the bus at the same time that the button is being depress. You should hear the solenoid shifting. If not. Power is not getting to the solenoid.

Hope this helps. AL
AL Moreno
proudeagle10
1980 Eagle 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. shiftier
davido
Club Member
Club Member

Post by davido »

Great! I'll do that.

Just knowing that you should be able to hear it with it off is a big deal.

Thx!
DavidO - 1970 Model 05 #8284 - http://www.tinyurl.com/1970silvereagle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

davido wrote:Great! I'll do that.

Just knowing that you should be able to hear it with it off is a big deal.

Thx!

It should be if original a Spicer 8844A it does use the second gear slot but not the same ratio
1st gear 4:30
2nd gear 2:33
3rd gear 1:36
4th gear 1:00
Rev gear 6:00
davido
Club Member
Club Member

Post by davido »

I can hear the clicking out back when I press the Rev button, but I cannot get that thing into the gear. I know where it's supposed to be, but I can't get it in. Turned it off and on a few different times. Nada. Frustrating.

I'll have to dig a little further. I didn't have time tonight to do any mak I didn't have time tonight to do any electricity measurements.

Thanks for the info so far.
proudeagle10
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 142221
Bus Model: Pipe Creek, TX
1980 model 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. Shiftier

Post by proudeagle10 »

Good. I'm glad you can hear the clicking. That means the solenoid is getting power and working.
So the next step is to get under the bus. Again on the right side rear. And look up on the right side of the trans. You will be able to see the solenoid. Check to see if the solenoid arm is attached to a short arm on the side of the trans. That arm is the one that the solenoid moves to let the second gear move into place.

Cliff. That is true and correct. But that is getting to technical at this point.
AL Moreno
proudeagle10
1980 Eagle 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. shiftier
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

He asked for a few technical details Al and I was trying to help him with a few, he may need to remove the top of the transmission and free the slider shaft or gear up since he hears the clicking.Soak all the linkage with Parts Blaster it may free up, and be sure he has the shift lever in the right position before engaging the solenoid