Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

well I have to clarify something the boarder crossing was relative to world war one, but that is all over. We spent some time at the mall at Edmonton yesterday. That is one big place. Spent the night at a walmart in Whitecourt. Today we went to Fort St John and are a beautiful park will take on water and dump tanks for the leg up to Whitehorse. I hear the cell service is not all that great on that leg so might be out of touch for a while. I forgot to take pictures today but will get some in the next few days.

Wayne
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

FYI, years ago on our trip to Alaska, we got curious as to why no one, regardless of ATT, Verizon, etc., none was getting cell phone calls out. I called *611 and got an agent with the Yukon Telecom Wireless (not sure of the name), and I was told your calls will not connect because we were not their customers. It stayed that way until we crossed the border into Alaska. When we made calls from Tok, no further problems until we traveled through the Yukon on our way back. That was in 1999, maybe different now. Hope so.

We are enjoying your trip reports.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Today we crossed the border into Alaska. We are spending the night in Tok and tomorrow we are off to Fairbanks. We have had a couple of days of rough roads and yes my bus has never been this dirty in its whole life. I can honestly say that all the negative things are just a drop in the bucket compared to all the sights we have seen. All the dirt came off the bus and the jeep. One section of road today north of Haines junction was very interesting as you drove along you are on top of one of the largest faults in the world. On one side are sharp and jagged mountains and one the other side are more smooth and rounded mountains. You can see first hand the two plates colliding with the older mountains going under the newer mountains that are being forced up. It makes you think just how insignificant we all are. We have seen all kinds of wild life. We have stayed at places that are so quiet you can hear a pin drop. When i get somer time and a better internet connection I will post some pictures.

wayne
garhawk
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle 20 NJT

Post by garhawk »

Hi folks,

The saga continues - the border crossing into Alaska was not as serene as Wayne so kindly let slide. He, (Wayne) and I passed right through with the agents asking only a few cursory questions. Then, Tony pulls up in that 70 ft Prevost rig and they want to know if he has ammunition, chicken, firearms and, how much cash in both Canadian or US dollars. Guess what - they haul he and Becky back into the interrogation room where they are forced to execute papers swearing to their previous answers.

Meanwhile, Wayne and I are waiting in a junk yard at the bottom of the hill wondering if or when Tony & Becky will be back with the tour. A half hour later, Wayne announces on the walkie talkie that he has the big Prevost in sight. Tony & Becky pull in, relate their fourth border experience, and we are all happy to be back on the road in our home country. (Tony asked me to relay to any other bus nuts attempting to travel through Canada that it is is not worth the hassle and aggravation suffered when trying to bring along a weapon.)

We made it as far as the Santa Clause house in North Pole yesterday. That's where the girls stopped the troupe so they could dispose of some considerable cash. On to Fairbanks, AK where we checked in with the folks at Riversedge Campground. We'll stay here two nights to soak our batteries and service our tanks, then it's back on the road again to taste the fruits of Alaska. (it's hard to imagine this is our home country after so many days in Canada using plastic money)

Now it is early morning on Sunday, June 8, 2015 in Fairbanks, AK. Tony and I are off to breakfast, the girls are all still in bed and, Wayne has struck out on his own, in his jeep, to the attic circle - 160 miles away! The boy just cannot be held back - I'm sure he'll tell you about the adventure this evening or tomorrow. Stay tuned!
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

DSC_0486.JPG

A few Pictures
DSC_0504.JPG
DSC_0499.JPG
DSC_0469.JPG
DSC_0489.JPG
DSC_0486.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

All the others wimped out on me today so I went to the arctic circle today. The 195 mile trip on way was interesting. the road was a mess but worth the trip. Seen a lot of the pipe line and also the yukon river.
DSC_0530.JPG
DSC_0521.JPG
DSC_0525.JPG
DSC_0523.JPG
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Thanks for the great pictures. By the way, what's with the jackets, it was 95 degrees here in Arkansas today. :D
By the looks of it, I can now say for the first time, my Eagle is cleaner than Wayne's...at least on the outside, that is. LOL
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
garhawk
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle 20 NJT

Post by garhawk »

Morning folks,

It is 10:30 a.m. here in beautiful Cantrell, AK and raining. Gloria and I only just crawled out of the sack. Wayne had been by at 6:30 to say we should cancel our planned Denali tour today because of the weather. It really felt good to sleep in as this begins our fourth week on the highways of US, Canada and now Alaska.

The roads have been pretty rough on our buses but, for the most part, they have held up extremely well. This two night stay in Cantrell should rest us well for the next few weeks here in the Anchorage area and, give us an opportunity to rub out a few dings.

Dave and Carol have been in Anchorage now for several days and it appears they will be there another few days waiting on some parts and repair on their new Tiffin. We should catch up with them later in the week.

We have some fishing, flying, train rides and other adventures planned for the next couple weeks, plus, we've been getting quite a number of emails from other US bus nuts who are in the vicinity.
Who knows, we may stage a rally here in the great State - maybe at Sarah's place! Stay tuned.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Tuesday was not the best of days for me. On our way to Cantwell I was turning the inverter off at the remote panel. When I touched the panel a spark jumped between me and the panel and the panel went blank. No big deal I will run without the remote. Next morning When I was using the blender all of the inverter lines went dead. Started looking at things and the batteries were dead, the charger did not work and the inverter was doing weird things. After making a few calls and talking with Gary and Tony I decided to tie the 120 inverter in with the inverter out and use a car charger to charge the batteries. Off to Healy to get a charger. That takes about Two hours round trip because of all the construction. Got back hooked it up and quickly discovered the charger I got along with Gary's would take about a week to charge the battery bank. Back to Healy to get a bigger charger. I set the charger to 40 amps and went to bed. Next morning all is well. I will have to live off the generator or the pole the rest of the trip and that is just fine with us, It will take more than that to slow us down.

Wayne

PS did I mention I ran over my phone Tuesday also. If you need to call me call Lins number 970-443-1511 I should have a new phone on Monday

Ps did I mention I misread the map on Tuesday and got us about 30 miles from Denali.

Glad Tuesday is in the books.

Thanks to Bill, Ken, Dick, Tony, and Gary for getting me through Tuesday.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

On Thursday we went to Denali National Park. The weather was overcast with rain/snow, but the scenery was spectacular. we seen some wildlife. The sheep were a little ways off. Here are some pictures.
DSC_0567.JPG
DSC_0566.JPG
DSC_0561.JPG
DSC_0556.JPG
And a sleeping bear
DSC_0573.JPG