Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Re: EricbSC 1973 05 Eagle

Post by ericbsc »

Already thought that one out. The new trailer has a 4' front door to put bikes sideways and the liberty in the rear!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

I put our Lexus on a trailer and the Harley would fit got to be to much of a hassle so I bought a Wrangler

If not for the weight the GMC Envoy is a nice tow vehicle flip a switch remove the key lock the doors and go

I planned on using my 911 for a toad but I tore the front spoiler off twice loading it on the trailer and you would not believe what Porsche charges for those lol

Any one looking for nice 500 hp Porsche 1985 model I have it for sale trade it has been climate control storage for 5+ years in Scottsdale

I installed new tires and batteries had it detailed and been driving around Phoenix in it for the last couple of months 23,000 miles all for 30 grand hardest part of old age is getting rid of your toys but it has to be done

I sold my Harley a few years ago 1985 with 5300 miles that one made me sad lol the bus was without doubt the easiest to part with I have no idea how I got off on this LOL

Clifford
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

My wife calls it my OLD TIMERS kicking in. I repeat stories. look for keys that I have in my hand, talk about all the old cars, bkies, bus, etc!!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

I was checking brakes before our Branson trip, and noticed that one of my bogie brakes was loose. I pulled the tire to check it and realized that the tire was at 1/2 or less tread. The drive was about full. All were put on new with about 16k miles on them. I called a conference in Branson to discuss. Wayne asked about the other bogie, and we found full tread there also. Jim Hufford had new tires and a bogie wore in a short amount of miles. He pointed out the slight black film on the side as tire rubber. I have everything in the front new as well as the drive. The bogie is the only part of the original bus left!!LOL My wife drove for a while on the way home and commented that she felt like she was making constant corrections. I replaced the entire drive axle when I replaced the motor and did an alignment check then. I have never checked the bogies, but when I removed the old rear I noticed that one the adjustment rod on the drivers side had been broken and re welded about half A**. Bingo, the light goes off. A bent bogie will not only wear, but will constantly push. I called Gary Labombard about his pulling fixture. He came over and spent the entire day helping my get the arms off of some model 15 bogies I had. We also got the top of the blots off on my bus on one side. A great bus nut!!! I have to say that getting those off my bus was a chore. Bent the fixture, so I just cut the arms!! I have ordered all new shocks, and inner bushings from Jefferson. Any one who wants to help is welcome!!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

I have some slightly used arms for sale!LOL
232 (4).jpg
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Eric, two thoughts.

At Cody we discovered that one of my bogie tires was worn badly and much more that its mate. I had known that the bearing clearance was excessive on that wheel, but did not get around to adjusting. After we mounted a used tire, I adjusted the bearings and all seems to be fine. I ran into the same problem with front tire wear. Readjusting the bearings cured the wear. It was my fault in that I set the bearings too loose.

Second, I would "string" the bus. That is where you run very tight string down both sides of the bus and check toe-in alignment on all of the wheels. It sounds like you need to also check the rear end alignment. I played with the string process. Pretty straight forward. I put square tubing against the front and rear bumpers and supported the tubing with jack stands. I adjusted the string so the it was exactly parallel to the bus (distance is not critical - I set mine about 6 inches out from the sides). Then I measured the distance from the front and rear of the tire to the string (value is not important - you are looking for relative values). If you take a lot of care, I think you can check alignment fairly well. I played with the front tires to see if it was a good check of toe-in, but I prefer my jig where I have thread rod in tubing.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Lots of work there Eric I would have tried the wedge shim and the bearing adjustment first you cannot bend the arm but the spindle will bend a little curbs are tough lol

FWIW I never saw a bogie off far enough the wedge shim would not bring back to specs

good luck
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

You are right Clifford. The shims would probably have fixed it, but I wanted to get the bigger brakes. Also,the 05 had the drum and hub bolted/riveted together. A pain to work on. I had the arms off a couple model tens anyway. I am going to string the bus as Jim suggested. I am also going to use the trig. method with three points just to verify. Jefferson told me that trailways just used a long straight bar with two post welded on. They would put the flat post against the rear wheel at midpoint and verify with the string. He said they even had a written procedure and it was always closer than from the factory. He is going to fax it to me. I did notice that the two arms I am going to use both have shims ( the thin set). The arms had never been indexed so I assume they were set at the factory. I think on a 1985 model ten. Looks like they would have set a slight amount of toe-in on each bogey. I will know better when I mount the arms.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

Some assembly required!!
232 (6).jpg
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

I found information on line on how to tap a jack for a gage. Jefferson gave me the number for the NAPA jack that eagle used. They quoted me a cost of $ 228.00. I got an 8 ton jack for $ 30.00, and a 5000 lb. gage for $35.00. I have one arm on and the weights seem to work correctly. I am shooting for 4000-4400 lbs. for each bogie.
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05