Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Bay Door Prop Cylinders

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
proudeagle10
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 142221
Bus Model: Pipe Creek, TX
1980 model 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. Shiftier

Re: Bay Door Prop Cylinders

Post by proudeagle10 »

Hey Manny.
If you are not going to be using the two props. I'll buy them from you.

AL proudeagle10
AL Moreno
proudeagle10
1980 Eagle 10
DD 8V71 Allison 740
S B Hyd. shiftier
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

I don't check in for a few days and I have missed another opportunity. As Mr Haney on green acres use to say (have I got a deal for you!!)LOL. I have had those fold up doors come loose while I was looking in the bay. Not a good think for your legs. I have also forgot to latch the front side of a cafe door and rolled a toolbox across an intersection. Not sure if I will ever find all those sockets!! I do know that if you leave the front one open at speed, it will only open 6" and stay right there. I do like my cafe doors but if I were to do it again I would wait for Wayne to perfect the panograph system and copy it. I made an offer on a 15 a few years with factory panograph doors. They sure were sweet, but it didn't have any shiney siding below. Manny, those rubber hindges are a B***H is the only way I know to describe them. If you want to change em come on up. We will bring Gary in to help!!
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Yep the only thing I ever cared for on a NJT model 20 was the pantograph doors and they stuck to far out for me

I like Sonnies they fit close to the body and open above the bay cafe doors not for me on the 01 cafe doors was a big improvement

We looked at a 2006 Prevost H-45 that was for sale that bus had some neat pantograph door push the remote it would open that door put lite down pressure on the door it would close like the trunk on some cars a neat setup
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Re: Bay Door Prop Cylinders (Updates)

Post by frodnew »

Hi Eagle Friends:

I wanted to make ordering Suspa Gas Props (Eagle part number: 054-1832-501) for the bay and engine doors on an Eagle, model 15, a little easier, quicker, to the point.
I also want to send a big thank you to Mason Chipperfield, Eagle Obsessed, 68 model 05 on the forum, for his quick, go to, knowledge of the forum and where certain information was to get me started on this quest.

Ordering from Suspa pronounced (Soo-spuh), phone #: 616-241-4200
(Tell the operator which state you reside in, she will transfer you to a regional person)
For anything technical, you want to talk to FRANK. He’s been with the company since the 80’s and has the knowledge of our buses and now has the cross reference numbers of the bay and engine props. Because Frank is an application engineer with Suspa, he has more intel than the regional person.

Suspa will be a little bit more expensive IF you are wanting these props for you bay/engine doors than say, Amazon or other companies that sell the same parts but I felt more comfortable dealing directly with Suspa since they are actually making the props fresh versus sitting on a shelf. Plus, I found out they made some upgrades and will make lifting and closing easier.

Bay Doors on my bus are the original folding doors with two parts. I will leave out the technical stuff only to say that I don’t have clips either that hold them in place. Deadlifting these monsters and propping them up is a workout and that’s all it took to get me on a roll and get new ones.

Bay Door Prop Answers:
Suspa C16-00001, $32.00/ea as of 04/2020. These are rated at 160# force. They’re made individually at the moment due to the Covid pandemic so shipping out will take a little longer due to one guy building them. Call and order ahead of time based on your time line.

If you want to get detailed and specific, the Eagle Manual will show you the prop number as 054-1832-501. Suspa’s part number for this specific prop is C16-04864 (600N 135#) but it’s price is $97.00/ea. Hence the reason to go with the C16-00001 option. The only differences are the force 135# versus 160# and price.

Ordering is cheaper online and this info will be at the bottom of this write up.

Engine Door Prop Answers:
The Eagle manual has the same model number as the bay doors (in my manual) but researching and talking with IBP Industries in Apopka, the product number is 204-1824-500. The Suspa props were referenced by Frank and the prop dimensions are the same dimensions but the force or pounds would be different. In MY CASE, my door is incredibly heavy, suicidal type, guillotine if you want to be specific. So, going with a heavier duty prop is the key. However, take note. Same dimensions, different force or pounds and PRICE.

C16-00011          600N 135# $77.00/ea
*C16-00001          712N 160# $32.00/ea
C16-00009          830N 186# $32.00/ea
*C16-00357          1000 225# $32.00/ea

*denotes what I went with for my bus

All of the above parts have the same tube, rod and end fitting construction as the original part, they do have a few cc’s more oil but that shouldn’t present any issues, if you think you need to go to 250# they have a C16-23602 part it comes without end fittings.

I decided to go with the 225# option. I’m tired of deadlifting this door!

Ordering via Suspa:
Go to: https://shop.suspa.com/
Use the search bar in the upper right corner to put the part number.
Choose your product and put in the cart.

Pros:
- 5 year warranty
- Built in house, not sitting on a shelf
- Great customer care, they answer the phone!
- Frank knows his stuff

Cons:
- Price is a little bit more than 3rd party online stores
- Time it takes to get to you if you’re in a hurry
- There’s no free shipping. Ouch!

Other options:
Amazon - You will find the bay door props C16-00001 online as a 2 pack for $59.00. California company. They don’t pick up right away, so you have to leave a message and hope you get a call back. No technical knowledge outside of what is on the net’s page. It is $2.50/prop cheaper which is good for a large order saving you about $30 for a full set but the warranty is good for only 1 year. Also, the company doesn’t know how long the props sit on the shelf but said their turnover rate is frequent, whatever that means. Shipping is free. Saves you about $30 depending on where you live. So, you see the pros/cons.

Lift Supports Depot
866-969-5438
760-744-2956
Same as Amazon because they sell on Amazon. Their website is thorough, them picking up the phone is not. Again, the pros/cons are the same as above in Amazon.

IBP Industries: Apopka, Fl
05-1832-501, Bay Door Props, $62.00/ea
204-1824-500, Engine Door Props, $54.25/ea

Hope this info helps.
Drive on,
Eric
’89, model 15, 6v92