Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Greg Roberts' (forum name Eagle 20) 1989 Model 20

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
SmoothJazz

Re: Greg Roberts' (forum name Eagle 20) 1989 Model 20

Post by SmoothJazz »

Greg,

I don't want to be critical of what you have done, it looks like a quality job, but I would be concerned about your air scoop on the radiator. You have reduced the surface space that the fan pulls from significantly, therefore reducing your airflow through the radiator. Pulling mountains may not produce enough road speed to force air through your scoop. Just my opinion.

Also, you may have exceeded the legal limit on the width of the bus.

Have you driven the bus with the new scoop on? If so, what difference, if any, have you noticed in the engine temperature?
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Eagle 20
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison HTB748

Post by Eagle 20 »

Dan, I did consider the air reduction in the design and made the inlet of the scoop as big as possible to still stay under the 102" width limit. My plan is to test the unit on a hot day at my nearby pass and see how it does. I may need to add a little more surface opening by way of slats for the really low speeds but I seldom get below 45-50 on the hard climbs. The proof will be in the test though so I will learn if this gives me the additional cooling that I am hoping to get.

From my research the 102" is supposed to be the legal limit. Can you confirm that this is so as well?
Greg Roberts
New Mexico
1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison ATEC HTB 748
http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Greg,

The legal width is 102", however, I am not sure whether or not you could run into problems having that one addition of a scoop onto your bus, when the rest of the bus is 96". I don't think it should be a big problem unless you run into one of those difficult officers of the law. :shock: :? 8-)
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

Greg,
I'm hoping that it is a good application for you. I, like Dan thought of the possibles that would affect it's performance. When you reduce the area for air intake you possibly could create a situation where air pressure differential inside & outside the scoop will cause a turbulence at air scoop entry that swirls the air not allowing it to get in. Another possibility is the fan sort of cavitates because it is starving for air. It is turning but not moving enough air. All this I'm spelling out in very basic laymans terms for lack of knowledge. If your temp goes up too much another possibility would be to cut slots in your scoop & bend them out to allow more air entry points along the length. Bus is looking great. :P :P
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...