Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

92 Series Engine Controls

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
K4Eagle
Bus Model: 1978 Model 5 Entertainer (Opaline), 1989 Model 15 Coach (Ron Burgundy)

92 Series Engine Controls

Post by K4Eagle »

I'm trying to better understand the engine controls for the 92 series that my 1989 Model 5 has, and I'm having a hard time finding anything online.  I have the Series 92 Service Manual, but it appear to be too generic when it comes to the electronics side.  Specifically, is there a separate module anywhere that the dash lights/buttons (attached) talk to, or is it solely the DDEC ECM on the engine?  I suspect the auto-shutdown has been disabled, so I need to know where all the inputs/outputs are.  You can see one button is missing on the dash, but it lights up for 5 seconds when you tun the ignition on.  Anybody have any info on this?  Perhaps as simple as a driver's manual?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230123-130650-439.png
Screenshot_20230123-130628-803.png
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: 92 Series Engine Controls

Post by DoubleEagle »

On my 1994 Model 15, that panel has more buttons. The row on the bottom has four positions, the one on the left is the same as yours, and then it says Check Engine, Check Trans, then a blank filler. It could be that in your case there was nothing there but a filler panel, which might explain why it is missing. The DDEC Computer back on the engine controls everything related to the engine operation, that button is to Override Shutdown which was initiated by the DDEC. You need the Detroit Diesel Application and Installation Manual for your level, which might be II, to get into specifics.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

You need to know the version of the DDEC the 89 can have a DDEC 1 and it is a 2 computer. ( box) system from the DDEC 2 forward it  is1 box setting at the front of the blower where the governor mounted on a mechanical  8v92  with 2 fuel lines for cooling the ECM .Your right the 92 series manuals are not much help with the DDEC they have a separate manual for the DDEC engines and hard as hell to find .    
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

As Clifford mentioned, we need to sort out which DDEC version you have.  Hopefully it is a DDEC II.  You should try to find the data port -- should be close to the driver dash area, but some other types of buses have the data port in the outside electrical compartment.

The DDEC I will have a 12 pin connection that looks like this:

DDEC I Diagnostic Plug large.jpg

DDEC II and up will have a round data connector.  Depending on the version, it will be a 6 or 9 pin (DDEC II will be a 6 pin):

6 and 9 pin connectors.jpg
6 and 9 pin connectors.jpg (28.43 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Not sure about your dash.  The "book" would suggest that for DDEC II and up,  you have two warning lights (check and stop) and one over ride button to get you to the side of the road if a stop engine fault code is set.  Not sure if Eagle set there dash accordingly.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
K4Eagle
Bus Model: 1978 Model 5 Entertainer (Opaline), 1989 Model 15 Coach (Ron Burgundy)

Post by K4Eagle »

Thanks for the info.  It is out at the ranch, so I'll have to double-check, but I believe I saw the square connector under the dash.  I'll loo around for a sperate manual.