Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Sonnie Gray
Club Officer
Club Officer
FMCA #: F215907
Bus Model: 72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat, 70 0/5, 85 Model 10

Re: 1994 Model 15/45 By Wayne Schell

Post by Sonnie Gray »

Hey Wayne

Sure is looking good, just one thing wrong.
That engine is the wrong color Ha! Ha!
Nice progress, Most people don't realize
how much time it does take.
See you in Quartzsite soon.

Sonnie & Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro Texas
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Wayne, Rust Bullet is great stuff on metal and extremely bad on the lungs (don't ask how I know :D ). You MUST use breathing protection!!! I am not even sure that a good mask is enough.

If you can find a medical oxygen mask, I have a good diaphragm compressor that I use as a fresh air supply. A note of caution, do not use a piston compressor for fresh air supply, as the oil in the air can be bad as well. Perhaps an oil less compressor would be OK, but I would go with the diaphragm compressor just to be sure.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Wayne, Do you have any pics of your Other Eagle to share? Would like to see the interior, especially the kitchen.

Thanks
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

I'll second that,Wayne :D
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

All that woodwork in the other bus is beautiful! I wish I could have taken pictures of that when I saw it at Quartzsite but I didn't have my camera with me.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Dale, Please take some when you go this time, I'm anxious to see the layout and how it all looks.

Thanks
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Sonnie, All the stores around here are out of yellow paint. Richie Brothers had an auction last week I think they bought it all. :lol: Bring some to Quartzsite will that give me some more horse power?

Jim, Thanks for the heads up. I think We have a fresh air hood for our sandblaster.

Paul, I don't have any pictures of my 05 if Dale doesn't take any at Quartzsite I will and post them. ( I mean I will have Jim post them For me )
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I'll be glad to take some. Now that I know people a little better I will feel more comfortable asking if I can take pictures.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Post #7 Rear doors, Air tanks, Relay valves, Fuel tank

In trying to keep the exterior of the bus as clean as possible I am rebuilding the doors using hidden hinges. I am using a standard door hinge but recessing them to be flush with the back side of the siding. I then move them away from the support post about 3/4 of an inch. The siding is lapped past the hinge and stops at the support post. When the door opens the siding travels into the void made by moving the hinge away from the support post. This works fine for doors not used much such as the rear corner and battery compartment door. The one draw back is the door will only open to just past 90 degrees. The door also has to be restrained so the siding is not damaged if opened past 90 degrees. I will use different hinges on the main door ( the ones manufactured by Kentucky Steve). The rear engine door was replaced using an Eagle Panographic door.

All of the rear wheel wells were lined with 14 ga. sheet metal. This was done to create a water tight seal to all exterior spaces. The area between the frame members will be sprayed with foam to help cut down on road noise and control temperature.

The fuel tank fillers were put back pretty close to stock with two exceptions. They were moved to the rear wheel well and I used a wye instead of a tee to connect the two fillers to the tank. I fabricated the main fuel tank ( 100 gallon) using 11 ga. stainless steel sheets. I cut all pieces with a 1 inch lip on half of the sides. The 1 inch lip was bent to form a 90 degree angle. When the seams were welded it is easier to weld and makes a stronger weld. I will add more fuel tanks in the rear bay when I see how much room is left.

The bed frame over the engine compartment was fabricated using 1 inch tubing. I am having a cylinder made to lift the bed. When all the soundproofing, insulation and finish wood is added it will get too heavy to lift.

I mounted 4 air tanks in the rear of the bus. One wet tank and three tanks for the rear brakes. Two of the tanks are mounted in the rear wheel wells and two in the center section under the tunnel. For the brake system I am using Bendix componets because that is the brand I know about. An R14 relay is being used for the spring brakes and two R12's are being used for the service brakes. Four M30 modulating valves were mounted for the ABS system.

Picture of recessed hinge
Post_Seven_(1).jpg

Rear corner door
Post_Seven_(2).jpg
Fuel tank filler, Relay valves, and air tank
Post_Seven_(3).jpg

Fuel tank fabrication
Post_Seven_(4).jpg

Feul tank ( note the 90 degree bend at the corners )
Post_Seven_(5).jpg

Air tank in wheel well
Post_Seven_(6).jpg

Bed frame
Post_Seven_(7).jpg
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Post # 8 Rear wire harness

I have always been intimidated by the thought of building a wire harness from scratch. I tried to get the harness from the truck the engine came in but the recking yard used it to upgrade their test rack. That forced me into building the wire harness.
I purchased an installation manual for the engine and the Autoshift transmission. When I opened the manuals I became even more intimidated, but I kept on reading. I decided to take it one pin at a time and find out what that pin did. As time went on I began to realize it was not as compicated as I first thought. I learned the ECM does all the work; all I had to do is hook it to the proper light, sensor,switch, computer, etc. ( nothing to it :lol: )
The vehicle plug on the ECM has 68 pins. Each pin was studied and I figured out what it did, if it was needed, and what it was hooked to on the other end. The manuals are pretty good at helping figure this out if you are patient and can search the manual for what you need.
The next step was to draw a schematic that I could follow when building the harness.
The parts to build the harness are a little difficult to find. You can always get them from Detroit but we all know how proud they are of their parts. The engine ECM uses Tyco pins,connectors, and shrouds. The Manual has all the numbers listed of both Tyco and Detroit. I was lucky because a friend of mine got the Tyco parts as a sample and he buys from them all the time. I also used him to purchase the proper wire and the twisted shielded pair for the J 1939 communications. The transimmision connectors and pins ( both the 18 pin and the 30 pin ) can be purchased from Wytek. For all my bulkhead fittings I used Deutsch connectors purchased from Ladd Industries.
All of the pins are crimp type. It is important to use good crimping tools to accomplish this task. With a little practice and good tools a very good connection can be had.
I first designed a rear electric panel for the coach. By using relays for the trailer ( toad ) plug, the strater, and the dash air functions I only had to use lower amp wire for the runs to the front of the bus to control these functions. The panel also has a master shutoff for the coach, fuses for the DDEC and the transmission power and fuses for the runs of power to the front of the bus.
The Autoshift and the engine have to talk to one another. This is accomplished by using J 1939 communications. I chose to use gold plated pins and sockets on these wires. The price of these pins is not a lot more and it is important to get a good connection on these wires. Also J 1587 is used to relay information between the engine and the transmission and the front of the bus.
To keep track of the wires I am using a number system. I used clear heat shrink tube to hold the number in place.
With the rear panel complete I then ran the wires that tied the rear panel to the ECM's, the engine ECM to the transmission ECM, the ECM's to the front of the bus and the rear panel to the trailer plug. Each wire was checked for continuity, numbers checked on both ends, and numbers recorded along with the corresponding pin or socket at the Deutsch connector, or ECM pin. When running wire add a couple extra wires in the harness; you will be glad down the road when something was forgotten.
I do not have the finnal schematic finshed and it is only the rear part of the harness. When I am finished with the schematic I will be glad to pass it on, but remember it has not been tested and it will be a year or better before it will be tested.
Pins and Sockets
Deutsch connectors
DSC_0058.jpg
Engine ECM
DSC_0056.jpg
Numbering system
Rear wire harness
Rear panel
Rear panel schematic