Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Carson's 1969 Silver Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
cjc0321
Bus Model: 1969 Silver Eagle 05

Carson's 1969 Silver Eagle 05

Post by cjc0321 »

I've recently acquired my first 1969 Silver Eagle 05 while at an estate auction! I have been looking for some time to do a bus/RV conversion and while checking out some old trucks at this estate sale I came across this bus up for auction. Now, just to be honest, I have very little knowledge about the Silver Eagle buses, but have learned a lot over the last 48 hours now that I'm a proud owner of one! So far, I'm loving what I am hearing. The auction price was too good to walk away. So with that, I decide to come to the true professionals and get your feedback on if I am truly a crazy man for purchasing this bus. Would love any feedback that you have on the bus. I have a mechanic coming out soon to take a look at the engine and the bus in general. It does have some rust issues that I am concerned about. Unfortunately, the husband recently passed away and the wife had very little knowledge of the bus other than it ran when they parked it about 6 or so years ago.

Here are the details that I know:
- 1969 Silver Eagle 05
- Was used by Southeast Lines back in its prime
- Was then purchased by a Texas School
- Serial ID: 7847
- Engine No: D 664 (I believe this is a Detroit)
- 179,535 miles

Here is a link to all the photos:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5mm8ru598jpc ... u6LPa?dl=0
Attachments
Photo Jan 26, 11 43 23 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 26, 11 44 23 AM.jpg
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Carson's 1969 Silver Eagle 05

Post by DoubleEagle »

Welcome to the world of Eagle's! You have an early version of the Model 05 that was assembled in Belgium. The front looks like later Model 05's, but the rear bumper and lights are from the Model 01. The engine will be the Detroit Diesel 8V71 with the Spicer 4 speed manual (non-synchromesh) transmission. You will have a lot of work ahead of you to convert it, I hope that your cost was in the $1000 to 2000 range (or less). The rusted areas shown don't look too bad, but there is much that can be hidden. Look down the sides of the bus to see if there are any wavy areas and missing rivets. Look in the wheel-wells where the torsilastic suspension tubes are attached, and bang along the sides of the bus to see how much rust drops out. Before you put money into it, you have to assess it's condition and decide what to do. It looks like the previous owner only got the seats out and some parts of the overhead storage. With proper priming of the fuel system, charged batteries, and checks of the engine, it should start up alright. I started one this year that had been sitting for 14 years. It took some priming and redoing of battery cables, but it started and drove out. The tires need to be checked for age codes, air pressure, and signs of cracking on the sidewalls. Don't take it out on the Interstate until it has been checked out. By the way, you do know how to double-clutch the transmission? It will be an essential skill to reduce your need for ear plugs! ;)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
cjc0321
Bus Model: 1969 Silver Eagle 05

Post by cjc0321 »

@DoubleEagle - Thanks for all of the insight! Very interesting note about the front and rear with the different models. Will dig more into that. Make me feel better that I didn't overpay for it! Hopefully with a mechanic and some TLC we will be able to get this bad boy up a running in no time. I have a '61 Land Rover that has the double-clutch transmission, so I have become very well at that. Good to know these buses were the same way. Will be looking for some cheap tires to temporarily put up there to get it rolling as the current ones as not in great shape.

Keep the info coming!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Well, you certainly have good taste in vehicles - I have three Series Land Rovers myself, one IIa, and two III's, 1966 & 1972's. I used to have a 1959, but I sold it after taking the Safari roof off. I am afraid that double clutching on the Land Rover is much easier than on the Eagle. The linkage on the Eagle runs from one end to the other with many lubrication points in between.

Tire wise, it will cost you plenty to even put on used tires, so proceed cautiously. A complete set new will be $3,000-4000, so until you are ready to roll, I would wait a little bit. If the tires hold their pressure and the sidewall cracks are minimal, you will be able to move it around slowly. The tires on the bus I started up after 14 years were 15 to 18 years old, but they held for a 75 mile trip. Just don't expect to be going 70 on the Interstate. Age affects tires on bus conversions long before the tread wears out.

Be sure to check out the previous postings on this forum (and a couple others) for the past experiences of others. There is a tremendous body of information on these forums. After checking out your bus thoroughly, you might conclude that it may or may not be a good candidate for conversion, but at the least, you have parts that might help another Eagle owner, and salvage value of the metal.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

That 8v71 should start right up with new fuel and good batteries. If you look at my project page, you'll see where rust affected my bus and what I am doing to repair it. The worst spots on my bus was the inside of the wheel wells, If you stick you're hand inside you can feel the inside of the exterior wall. On mine there was almost nothing left.

If your tires are 22.5s it shouldn't be a problem to get some used ones from a semi tire shop. 24.5s may be a little harder to find. But you should be able to move around on the current tires.

Before you drive it you should take of the access panels inside (on the floor) and grease all your moving linkages. (Clutch, throttle, and both shift linkages) Likely it has "all the power you give it" steering, so it would be a good idea to grease that, also.

Another spot that rusts bad is the engine cradle rails, sometimes the bottom will be totally gone from the result of rust. Put on your work clothes and crawl under the bus just to see what you can see. Then, bring back more pictures.

This is an excellent thread about inspecting an eagle. http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... f=5&t=4343
This thread also has details about the torsilastic adjustment which is also very important.

Just remember: Have fun with your new project!
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus