Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Mason's 1968 model 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Re: Mason's 1968 model 05

Post by Eagle obsessed »

And this is my favorite tool. Nicknamed the "demo saw"!

Sorry I forgot to take a good picture of it, This is really from the back.
Attachments
Husqvarna K670
Husqvarna K670
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Wow Mason! You are quite a craftsman and have a great shop. I love the rear bulkhead you fabricated. Great workmanship and design.

My engine is a pre EGR (1999) 12.7 L set at 500 HP and 1625 ft-lbs

Hope you will continue to post info and photos.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving!

After looking at the options, I decided to go ahead and rip all the old skin off, so hopefully we will have a smooth skinned bus! :D
I have also framed in the floor in the generator compartment, (where the air-conditioning used to be) but I don't have any pictures of that right at this moment.

I have a little floor in at the front, but I still need to touch up the area behind the baggage bays before I put flooring above the rear wheel wells.

I will post more as I have more pictures and time! :?

And yes, I had to hang the drivers side skin on the wall!! :) :) :)
Attachments
before
before
after
after
drivers side
drivers side
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mason, you are doing this correctly and if you stay with it, you will have an amazing Eagle.

It sounds like you are putting the generator in the rear AC compartment. That is a convenient spot and saves some bay space. However, I have heard folks complain about the noise and vibration if they run the unit when they go to bed.

Please keep posting. Project pages are the best part of this forum in my opinion and very helpful to folks who are doing the same work.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

beltguy wrote:Mason, you are doing this correctly and if you stay with it, you will have an amazing Eagle.
That is what I am going for! :D

Here are some pictures of where I hope to put the generator. I don't have a generator yet but I am hoping to buy one from Wrico.
Attachments
This is the ledge that was on the bus, so I tried to replicate it.
This is the ledge that was on the bus, so I tried to replicate it.
generator compartment?
generator compartment?
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Post by frodnew »

Fantastic work! I looked over the photos from start to finish and then again a few more times to understand the bare bones of a bus. I know this project, when finished, will look amazing but is there something about the date, type or history that this model had that makes one want to strip it down like this and replace just about everything?
Obviously, I'm question is related to not having a repair shop or set up as this one but if working solo on this, it seems that it would take years and a lot of money, ie, various metals, tool bits, blades, welding rods, discs, etc..
I realize some people love to fish so they buy rods and reels. Others like guns so they have a collection. I just got my General Ham License so I know that some people eat/sleep radios. Is the bus community like this as well (on the mechanical side) or, as I asked above, this bus a special model for unknown reasons? I see the big picture and I like it but the devil in the details in the photos makes me exasperated.
You are a brave man!
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Eric,

I don't think that it is the year (1968) or model (05) that caused the rust, but rather the history. It seems that it ran routes in the north east, and from what I have read and heard, back then and even today, they put on an excessive amount of road salt in wintery weather. After collecting salt in the wheel wells, If it is not washed off, it will proceed to rust away the metal so fast it would surprise you. This even happens in Nebraska, on trailers, and even the machinery we haul on trailers during wintery weather. When we got the bus, it had a couple of extremely faded New York State fuel tax stickers on the left front bumper corner. And yes, you could say all my tools are like a gun collection, but I figure if I buy good quality tools, I will be using them for a long, long time. Also I am lucky enough to have a Miller Wirefeed welder, which makes welding thin metals a snap! And for metals, The company I work for usually gets a big order of steel each week, so I can send in my order and it will come along with the rest for a decent price. Hopefully It will not take years and years to finish. I got the bus in the shop in April, and the inside was the same as your bus, no seats, but everything else. Work went okay till this summer when I got called to work in Texas for 5 Weeks, that kind of put me a little behind. But now I am gearing up for a productive winter!

Hope everybody had a merry Christmas!

I will try to post more pictures soon!
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Here are pics of the old wiring harness which I tore out. The last pic is a random end that was hanging under the bus. Might of been part of a failed speedometer experiment!?

The last time it was converted, the converter ran 10 pink identical wires from front to back. By the time I got it, they were a tangled mass under the dash and in the back. :x
Attachments
The front of the harness
The front of the harness
more pink!
more pink!
Random end
Random end
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

The positive side of this wiring exercise is that you will have a system you understand and have documented.

Be sure to include several extra runs front to back, as you will find that you need them in the future.

I can't recall if I mentioned this before, but be sure to add at least two large PVC pipe runs in the tunnel for future use.

It is sooooo good to see an Eagle get the "full" treatment that they deserve.

In case you had not noticed, your build thread has almost 800 views as of 12/29/18. Folks love a build thread.

Keep up the good work

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Eagle obsessed

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Progress!

Over the holiday weekend I got 8 sheets of skin on. After the 2nd sheet or so, we had a pretty good method of putting sheets on, we would clamp it, then put a single tack weld at the top, take the clamps off and heat it up with the weed burner until we figured it was hot enough. Then we would maintain heat with the weed burner and start welding. (did I mention how handy it is to have a wirefeed?) It took about an hour per sheet.

On the passenger side, we had to stop mid sheet because the weed burner decided to quit and it was getting late enough that we decided to head for bed.

I was advised to buy 18 ga. steel, which turned out good, I sure wouldn't want it to be any thinner if I was welding it on.

After the roof raise, the windows were a little big for my liking, so I raised the bottom of the window sills about 8 inches.

And in the first pic you can see the angle iron we used to back the seams.

Yes Jim, I will make sure to have plenty of pipe runs down the tunnel. Extra wires, too!
Attachments
Inside and raised window sill
Inside and raised window sill
drivers side first view
drivers side first view
Drivers side
Drivers side
Passenger side.
Passenger side.