Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

We just got hit by a huge spam application attack

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

We just got hit by a huge spam application attack

Post by beltguy »

Hi folks

Overnight we got hit by a huge spam application attack. I had over 70 applications in the past 11 hours and as I was changing the our rather unique spambot countermeasure questions, we got 11 more. Hopefully our new questions will stop the attack.

It takes me a couple of minutes to check out each legitimate application and perhaps double that for questionable applications (have to decipher the "whois IP address lookup" information to see where the applicaton came from). As a result, I had to take the "emergency" action and delete all of the applications. It is possible that I deleted one or more legitimate applications.

If you applied for forum membership in the past two days and have not had your account activated, please re-apply for membership.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: We just got hit by a huge spam application attack

Post by beltguy »

A bit of rambling from the resident geek.

When a person applies for forum membership, the spam bot counter measure consists of a random question that consists of numbers and letters with the statement to ignore the numbers and type the letters. We chose to use that process as opposed the obnoxious captcha questions/pictures that are so hard to see.

There are three questions one of which randomly show up for each application. It is fun to watch the spam applications (many form Russian ISPs) pick away at the finding all of the questions. It will start with a few applications per week. Once I see that they are getting close to getting all three answers, I reset the questions.

It appears to me that each of these applications are made by humans. Once they get a feeling that they have the questions covered, they submit it to a computer and I will get well over 100 fake applications in one or two days.

If I catch it quick enough and update the questions, I avoid the mass spam applications. However, I did not catch it quick enough this time and it was a mess.

Since I changed the questions after this last burst, I have not had one spam application.

I sure wish I knew why they pick on this very small forum. Must just be the challenge. Maybe the word Eagle attracts some attention. Who Knows? :shock:

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Re: We just got hit by a huge spam application attack

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Very curious
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus