Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Monaco Eagle I Conversion Line

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Monaco Eagle I Conversion Line

Post by beltguy »

Mike, thanks for posting the files. Great information.

I have seen one Eagle with the Eagle air bag installation with one double lobe bag per side at a rally many years ago (have a picture somewhere). I have also seen the factory documentation for the single airbag design. However, I have not seen the documentation for the double (per side) airbag system.

I can only guess why Eagle did not want the system active during travel. I suspect that they were concerned about the dynamic loading of the system. I would guess that there could be dynamic loads of at least two to four times the static (parked) loads on bumpy roads or hitting pot holes. Don Smith (Box Car Okie) had a structure failure on his single bag (non Eagle) system after hitting a large pot hole. His bus was a Suburban with a single rear axle and it was probably pretty heavily loaded statically.

While I have not done an engineering analysis of the various aftermarket (or Eagle) designs, my engineering background makes me nervous about loading the Torsilastic tube in the center. Not only am I concerned about the Torsilastic tube, I think that the frame structure could be overloaded with that kind of design.

I am very comfortable with a well designed dual airbag system where the loads are applied to the outside of the Torsilastic tube. This design is even better when using rolling lobe type airbags that are less harsh in transferring load from the axle to the frame. There are good dual bag designs in the thread I mentioned before.

The one issue that is overwhelming in any airbag installation is the integrity of original Eagle tubing. In many cases they rust from the inside out and the tubes need to be tested and/or reinforced.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Yes that is Roger Rices bus he took great care of that bus and did not abuse it great find. Was there an owner between you and Roger?
I thought he sold that a while back. John Killingsworth had an Eagle with factory leveling I would think that it could be converted to suspension with a little brain power and some valves.
Wayne
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F477671
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Eagle Driver »

Yes, I bought it from a gentleman in Oregon. He had it about 2.5 years before I acquired it at the beginning of 2018. I believe the extended time in the desert is the reason for the minimal rust. It is evident Roger and the other owners took great care of the coach. We want to keep it for quite some time, so I’m doing all I can to continue their efforts.

Jim - Thank you for your feedback. Your expertise is appreciated.
Mike

1988 Eagle Model 15 - Monaco Eagle I Conversion
DDC 8V92TA DDEC; Allison HT755CR ATEC
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

Happy New Year everyone. 2020 is finally over. I apologize for not following up with the requested headlight information yet. Life has intervened. I'll post some pics and other information on that shortly. It is definitely a very custom install.
Right side AC belt tensioner bushing(?)
Right side AC belt tensioner bushing(?)
AC Tensioner bushing.GIF (130.14 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
In the meantime, can anyone assist in helping to identify the bushing (I assume) in the highlighted circle please? This is the pivot point for the right side AC belt tensioner. It requires an approximate 3/4" Torx socket and the part is approximately 4" long. I won't bore anyone with the backstory, but am hoping to identify the part and locate a replacement before disassembling. I haven't been able to find any information about it in my Eagle Manuals. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mike, I would suspect that part is not standard for Eagle. I loose track of what engines Eagle offered, but I think the 8V92 would be a conversion, and the idler system is probably a part of that conversion. I do not remember seeing that kind of system in an Eagle.

That said, I also think it would be a bushing. About all you can do is to disassemble the idler pivot and see what is inside. If would happen to be a rolling element bearing, you will be able to find a replacement at an industrial power transmission distributor or on line. If it is a bushing, hopefully it will be a standard item. If so, the previously mentioned sources should be able to find a replacement.

If the bushing is custom made, it is a simple machining process to duplicate it.

As a side comment an properly designed automatically tensioning idler system (such as this one) is a great benefit to the belt drive system and the driven components.

Let us know what you find.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

Thank you for the information Jim.
Mike

Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

Sorry for the lengthy time away. Life has definitely limited my "play time." Hope all are safe and healthy.

Turned out the bushing was essentially a bolt. The unit had a friction design with no lubrication between the two arms and was causing some definite wear. The wear was changing the belt alignment angle. We were able to grind the pieces to improve the belt alignment angle and added a washer and a lubrication point to help reduce friction. The mechanism was somewhat shown in the MHO parts manual, but more specifically referenced related to belt tensioning. The repair seems to be tighter and a little better now.
Attachments
Arm before repair
Arm before repair
Worn bolt
Worn bolt
Arm after repair and upgrade
Arm after repair and upgrade
Mike

Eagle Driver
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Driver »

I was previously asked to provide some additional front end pictures due to the unique headlight installation.

I have confirmed that when the siding was replaced, the front end exterior was redesigned. The original body mounted front turn signals were removed to allow for the front end Plexi-rock guard. It appears the owner kept some of the front end bumper attachment elements, but skinned over the location where the tow bar would be accessed. The panel with the Eagle emblem does not appear to be easily removable. From what I can tell, the front bumper corners were customized to allow for the replacement headlight configuration.
Front coach
Front coach
The spare tire location has been replaced with a number of accessory air line and electrical connections.
Front bumper removed
Front bumper removed
Spare tire compartment 1
Spare tire compartment 1
Spare tire compartment 2
Spare tire compartment 2
The outer headlights are 1988-1991 Ford F Series truck headlight units with integrated turn signal. The inner lights are the same headlight unit minus the turn signal. They are mounted with a rudimentary alignment system of sliding brackets. As the Ford F series utilized a two light hi/low beam system, the owner wired the inner lights to the Fog Lamp switch. The result is a hi/low beam with only the outer lights or with all four lights when the Fog Light switch is activated. It can make for very bright lighting in the middle of nowhere.
Front LED headlight conversion
Front LED headlight conversion
Driver side headlights
Driver side headlights
Headlight bracket looking from the bottom
Headlight bracket looking from the bottom
While working on the lighting project last fall, I also added a remote control curbside LED awning light. We were able to attach the light strip to the bottom of the window drip rail. The result was a clean, protected, and fairly invisible installation that is attractive and adjustably bright at night. To me, the update keeps the classic Eagle lines and appearance without additional bulky lighting units.
LED awning light
LED awning light
Mike

beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Mike, thanks for continuing to update us about that beautiful Eagle.

While I am not a fan of updated headlights, this conversion is very well done and seems to fit the front end design very well.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO