Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Working on an 81 Model 10 - Shut Off Issues

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
kongawi
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10

Working on an 81 Model 10 - Shut Off Issues

Post by kongawi »

Hey guys! I've owned my eagle for the past 7 years, but only started the renovation project this year. It is said to have been used for a few Tammy Wynnette tours, and has a lot of history. It was a repossession that had actually been stolen at one point, and has left me with quite a bit of wiring issues to tackle. First off, is the shut off sequence: I've tried replacing the ignition switch, but the bus will only shut off if i Stall it. Can any one give me a lead where to start with this? I have repair manuals, but haven't found a good starting point after the ignition switch.

PS - I will have many more projects on which i will need exper advice :D
Attachments
IMG_0035.JPG
cameracoimage1300479027.jpg
cameracoimage1300479027.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Working on an 81 Model 10 - Shut Off Issues

Post by akroyaleagle »

I'd start in the engine compartment and track backwards from the shut off solenoid.
Someone may have wired around it.

Somewhere in the board archives are the electrical diagrams I posted. They should help.

Electrical problems can be frustrating. So many folks just jerry rig things to work and future endeavors take a lot of "sorting out".

Stay with it. You'll get there!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Chances are the Skinner Valve at the rear is not triggering the shut-off cylinder to push the curved arm of the shut-off. Either it is not getting the current to trigger it, or it has malfunctioned. It can be rebuilt or replaced. In the meantime, to shut the engine off, all you need is a good sized screwdriver to push the curved arm towards the front of the coach. Once it is off, make sure the arm returns back to where it was so that it will start again. Some people do away with the Skinner Valve setup and put in a $200 electric solenoid from Detroit Diesel. You have two of these Skinner Valves, the other one operates the fast idle. Historically, it is usually the Skinner Valve.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Eagle obsessed
Bus Model: 1968 model 05 Eagle series 60 and B500

Post by Eagle obsessed »

Yep, it sounds like the wiring to the skinner valve to me.

Here is a pic from my bus just to give you an idea of where it is, the shutoff cylinder was mounted lower then the high idle cylinder.

Sorry for all the fuzziness, I really had to zoom it up
Attachments
skinner valve.png
skinner valve.png (148.47 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
1968 05 Series 60/B500 swap 2019-2021
1971 05 8v71 Spicer 4 speed parts bus
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Christian, welcome to the group and we are glad that you are using our forum.

I see by your profile that you have an 84 model 10. I would guess that has a 6V92. Shown below is the Governor with the two Skinner valves
Governor with skinner valves.JPG
The valve on the left is that fuel shut off valve. Folks have mentioned wiring problems, but there could also be air supply problems. It should be fairly easy to test both the electrical and the air part of the shut off system.

The engine will not shut off until the air pressure has reached a reasonable lever (not sure of the pressure needed).

Do some testing and we can help you sort it out.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Jim,
Mine needs 65psi to shutoff.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD