Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

1969 Eagle 05, conversion from Spicer 4 speed to Allison.

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

1969 Eagle 05, conversion from Spicer 4 speed to Allison.

Post by Bus & Car »

My friend Geert in Holland has been having a tough time replacing his original Spicer 4 speed with an Allison. On the first try, it would not fit.
His bus is a 1969 05 sold new to a college so he is the second owner.

Now it fits but will not go into 4th gear so he's stuck at about 53 MPH in third at 2300 RPM. He has contacted his local Allison dealer but they could not help him.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: 1969 Eagle 05, conversion from Spicer 4 speed to Allison

Post by DoubleEagle »

I assume he discovered that the frame has to be modified to fit in anything different than the Spicer 4 speed. As far as the Allison goes, if a dealer can not help him, then who can? He might be hoping for an easy fix that does not involve taking the transmission out. Did he buy it as a used transmission that already had problems unknown to him? What model transmission is it exactly? Is it mechanical or electronic?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Post by Bus & Car »

DoubleEagle wrote:I assume he discovered that the frame has to be modified to fit in anything different than the 4 speed. As far as the Allison goes, if a dealer can not help him, then who can? He might be hoping for an easy fix that does not involve taking the transmission out. Did he buy it as a used transmission that already had problems unknown to him? What model transmission is it exactly? Is it mechanical or electronic?

I don't have all the here but I strongly suggested he not make this change because an automatic would cost more to run than the old Spicer does. He did get a used Allison but it was too long to fit. Now he's got the Allison in his bus but it won't shift into fourth gear. He said that he thinks he needs a shift cable that is Eagle-specific but of course
doesn't exist in Europe

Anyone know where he can get one in the USA?

I also asked for the Allison model number but crickets..
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Well, if it has a shift cable, it is a mechanical version, probably a HT740. I don't think it would be Eagle specific, the cable shifter was used on other brands with the same Allison shifter. Perhaps there were different lengths of the cable connection. Orscheln Europe sells cable shifters for many models.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746