Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Power Steering Box Question

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Power Steering Box Question

Post by Dreamscape »

What is the number and manufacturer on the preferred power steering box for our Eagles?

I tried to do a Search and did not find anything. I think something is wrong with that function.

I know we have it in our archives, it just won't pick it up! :x
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Bustyme
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: 398939
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01, 8V92TA, HT-740, Stock width & height (FOR SALE (805) 238-7122)
1983 Eagle 10, 8V92TA, HT-740, 102" wide 7" roof raise

Re: Power Steering Box Question

Post by Bustyme »

Paul,

Just got thru installing a new steering box in the M10. I got it from Mark Mason that owns Straightline Steering in San Jose, CA. The box I used is the same one Ben Neuman and numerous others have used. The stock box is a HF64??? that came oem on the M10. I was told it is 60's technology. The new box is an HFB64099 and is completely different in size, mounting, and configuration. It is late 90's technology.
When we get home from our trip (8/15) call me and we can discuss the ins and outs. I have the dimensions for the mounting brackets, all the pitman arm info etc. and can give it all to you. The bus works way better with all new parts up front but still has the slight "Eagle wander" that I think comes from the lack of enough caster in the spindles.
I'm on to it though and after discussing it with Wayne, Ben Neuman, Eric Brown and others I think my next challenge is to figure out how to solve the caster problem so everyone can retrofit their buses. Traveling down the highway has got me thinking....lol.
Need a set of old "C" arms and some spindles to get my concept off the ground.....anybody have some old dead parts to experiment with??

On another subject: We just finished a full day in Yellowstone taking in all the sites and attractions. Way cool!
Thank you Bill & Lani for the recommendation on Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone as a place to stay. This place rocks! Beautiful RV park...

Happy Travels,

Randy & Kelley Coons
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Thanks Randy!

This information is needed for another Eagle buddy. He rebuilt the front end on his 01 and does not like the way it feels.

I'll pass the info on to him.

Glad you guys are having a great trip. We'll see you in person next March! 8-)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Randy,

I don't know for sure if he can help you with the parts you need, but you might talk to Daniel Bowers. If you call him after you get home (8/15), you should be able to get him. He is traveling until that same date. He lives in Silver City, NV, not far from us.

Glad you like the Grizzly RV Park. We have been there several times, and really like it. I don't think there is any other place in that area near as good.

The day you get home, is the day we are leaving for an extended trip to the east coast, from New Hampshire, all the way down to Key West, and then back though Branson for the rally. It is planned to be 8 weeks minimum and maybe 10 weeks. Most people celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary do something special. Our bus, and traveling in it, is our "special".

Keep things safe as you continue your trip.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

The 01 people have been fighting power steering on the 01 for years I don't think anybody has figured it out yet.

Best fix I ever found was 315x80x 22.5 on 9 inch wheels the standard 8 1/4 wide with the 315's don't do much good fwiw and with a good 3 axle alignment they don't wander near as bad

I have tried for years to find out what offset Eagle used on the wheels I never have found that out even with the part number for the wheel they list there are 5 different offsets for that wheel number

I never tried to use the 24.5 tires on Eagles I think that was a big mistake Eagle made switching to the 24.5 in the late 70's they never drove the same jmo

Clifford