Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Drop Box ?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
bob05
FMCA #: 235395
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05

Drop Box ?

Post by bob05 »

Ok update:
I have gone over every wheel checking bearing etc.
now we get to the drop box, the driveline is very sloppy where it enters the drop box. This is more than likely my fault as when I installed the 8v92 and 740 allison I havd to shorten the driveline and this was done at a local driveline shop, they recomended that I get rid of the companion flange and go with there ujoint input shaft.
Did I do the wrong thing???
Thanks Bob
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Re: Drop Box ?

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Bob-

I think I'd check the pinion nut (equivalent). . .if it's tight, you might (or probably)have a bearing problem. You might want to dump the oil and hit it with a magnet and see if it's making metal.

How many miles has it been driven since the new driveshaft?

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

There is a thrust washer behind the input yoke cost you 55 bucks from Jefferson make sure it is in there and not bad torque the nut to 400 lbs if the washer is bad or missing you cannot take the slop out of the input shaft

The u joint setup is best for the 740 and 8v92 just make sure they are in time (matched on both sections) or you will get strange noise and vibration

Clifford
bob05

Post by bob05 »

Ok Art & Clifford Thanks for your inpuit !!
I do think you understand that I know longer have the Flange and slinger setup.
What I have is the driveline with u joints on both ends
it's quite cold here now so not sure if I can get it fixed and make it to Quartzsite and not going to try at this point. with as much slop as there is i'm sure something inthe drop box like a bearing could be bad ???
Looks like I will need to open it up and check it out
BOB
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

That is what I am trying to tell you if you didn't install the washer when changing to the yoke from the flange you will have slop the U joints are the best setup for the 740 and 8v92.

The input shaft can be removed with out pulling the drop it has shims on the front cover for bearing adjustment

Clifford
bob05

Post by bob05 »

Lucky me, I pulled it apart and yes all the bearings are shot. It's now at the driveline shop. haveing trouble getting the rear bearing race out bought a puller today hope that does it.
Bob
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Bob-

Glad you found the problem--hopefully, it didn't take a bunch of other rear-end bearings out with it. I've taken-out a couple of difficult bearing races by welding a bead on the race itself--the heat seems to contract it enough to let it slide out like a normal race.

I'm not sure if you're putting it together yourself or having the shop do it, but make sure that pinion has sufficient torque and there's no slop in the input shaft. If there's too much slop, it'll grenade the bearings again. . .and as you know, that makes for a bummer day!!

Have fun with the project and don't bust any knuckles!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
bob05

Post by bob05 »

Thanks Art:
I Got the race out with a puller what a job!!!
The whole shaft and yoke it at the driveline shop at this time, they called friday and said it should be ready monday or tuesday. of course it's getting colder by the day here and can't do much except from about 1 pm until dark.
Bob
bob05

Post by bob05 »

Done deal, it's back together and on the ground.
not and easy job in the cold, I now have all the replacement bearing #'s etc if anyone needs them.
Thanks for all the input one thing to add It's heavy!!!!
mudelki
Bus Model: 1969 model 05

Post by mudelki »

Do you still have these part numbers? I am pulling my drop box tomorrow.
Jim and Jessi Jackson
Woodland Wa.