Website Home | Info & Posts | Club Membership | Eagle History | Contact Us

OVER THE PAST YEAR OR SO, WE HAVE BEEN WORKING TO MAKE SIGNIFICANT UPGRADES TO THIS FORUM

The progress has been slow, but we continue to work on the project

BOTH THE WEBSITE AND THE FORUM ARE FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND AVAILABLE FOR OUR MEMBER'S/READER'S ENJOYMENT

For update activity/status click on this thread.

Wiring for trailer lights

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Wiring for trailer lights
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am

I have a 1983 Model 10 Eagle that has been used for touring its entire life. I would like to get it wired up for pulling a trailer this fall. The existing shreds of previous wiring have, over the years, become a rats nest of oil covered mass of indiscernible wires, that I would like to tear out and redo. Anyone have a surefire, minimally complicated (I know that’s a tough one) design for trailer wiring? I know it’s a 5 wire set-up, when most vehicles are 4, but it sure would be nice if this project didn’t turn into a major pain.
Thanks!!
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
Tour Bus Conversion Ex-Senator Coach
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcb

Re: Wiring for trailer lights
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:48 pm

Hello Jim, Look under the articles file in the Info section on this website for the tail light conversion article written by our Jim Shepherd, great source of information on a project like yours. I used a commercially manufactured convertor on my 01 Eagle but the setup shown is a better option, for sure.
Have fun!

Jim H
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Wiring for trailer lights
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 am

I can think of three options for the 5 to 4 conversion for a trailer/toad.

The first is to wire the trailer/toad for the separate brake light option. That means that you will have to make a nonstandard wiring of the typical 7 pin connector.

The second option is to use a commercial converter. That is pretty simple from a wiring standpoint. However, my experience is that they are not well made and tend to fail fairly early in their life.

My approach was to use a custom relay based circuit as described in the article posted on our website. It is not that hard to fabricate and is quite reliable. If one of the relays fails it is easy to replace.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission - not at all fancy, but fully functional
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: http://beltguy.com/blog/
Email: jim@eaglesinternational.net Note: Email sent to the this address requesting technical advice will not receive a response
beltguy

Return to Eagle Tech