Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Allison Transmission Interchange

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
sojourner58
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Allison Transmission Interchange

Post by sojourner58 »

In my thread 'Searching For Mr Good Bird' I described how I recently purchased a 1982 Eagle Model 10 with a 1994 Cummins N-14 500E engine. While driving home from the west coast, the Allison HT740 reverse went out completely, 1st gear started slipping when hot as well as 4h gear. I was able to nurse it home and have been weighing my options whether to rebuild the current transmission or upgrade to an electronic 6 speed overdrive Allison. With the current HT740 the engine turned 1500 rpm at 55 mph in 4th gear which is probably the sweet spot for fuel economy. If I want to run 65 mph at 1500 rpm I'd need a higher overall drive ratio.

There was an Allison HD4060P on Ebay out of a low mileage wrecked fire truck. Unfortunately I discovered the P stands for pto. The pto version is several inches longer than a non-pto version and would increase the likelihood of having to shorten the driveshaft to make it fit.

A wrecked '02 Spartan motorhome is for sale in my area with a 400 hp Cummins and Allison, most likely an HD4000MH. A salvage yard also has an HD4000MH for sale online for a reasonable price that I'm considering. I'm thinking the HD4000MH should be strong enough to handle the hp and torque my 500 Cummins produces since the Spartan chassis has a 400 hp Cummins but I'm not sure. I also wondered if the Allison MH series is engineered as rugged as a commercial heavy duty series since the MH looks smaller in photos I've seen.

Some questions I have are: Is the bellhousing bolt pattern the same between an HT740 and an HD4000MH? Will the HT740 flex plate on my Cummins bolt up to an HD40000 torque convertor? Will a 2002 Allison Transmission Control Unit communicate with a 1994 Cummins Select Engine Control Unit? Will it need to be reprogrammed or will I need to find another TCU?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge regarding these issues. -Jim
Attachments
Desert Lady 5.jpg
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Re: Allison Transmission Interchange

Post by blue_goose »

The 4000 and 4060 are both 6 speed transmissions that have two overdrives. That is what your engine needs, but you will need to change the rear to be able to use the overdrives.
If your engine is electronic no problem. if not you will need another unit to tell the transmission when to change gears.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member
sojourner58
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by sojourner58 »

blue_goose wrote:The 4000 and 4060 are both 6 speed transmissions that have two overdrives. That is what your engine needs, but you will need to change the rear to be able to use the overdrives.
If your engine is electronic no problem. if not you will need another unit to tell the transmission when to change gears.
Jack
Thanks for the info blue_goose.

What ratio axle gears does it need to be able to use the overdrives? I don't know the current ratio but with 24.5 tall rubber and the HT 740 transmission the engine turns 1500 rpm at 55 mph. I could go with 11-22.5 wheels & tires to reduce the overall final drive ratio but I'd have less ground clearance.

The local Allison shop wants $16000 to rebuild and install the HT740 or $7500 for a Weller reman plus labor for removal & installation. I found an HD4000MH for $850 with 18,000 miles on it. It comes complete with the torque converter, the TCU, the touch pad shifter and wiring harness plugs. Even if I have to re ratio the rearend it would still be cheaper to go with it rather than the HT740.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

The world transmission has two overdrives: .74 and .61. I am told that many world transmissions have sixth gear (.61 overdrive) locked out. In the best of all worlds, you would use something like a 4.11 rear end and then you could take advantage of the 6th gear.

The two most popular Eagle rear end ratios are 3.36 and 3.73. If you ratio your 1500/55 it is equal to 2100RPM and 77 MPH. That would suggest you have a 3.36 gear ratio. That gear along with the .74 overdrive will something like 74 MPH at 1500. I like to drive at 68 MPH which would be about 1380 rpm with 3.36 gearing. That would a great combination for a 4 stoke engine and reasonable road speed. All of these numbers are based on a typical 11 24.5 tire.

So, I don't think you need to change any gearing. You will not have the advantage of 6th overdrive, but that is not a big deal.

At least one of our members put a 4.11 in his Eagle and was able to use all the gears. The 4.11 was not a standard gear that I am aware of, but apparently you can find aftermarket gears ($$$$$$$).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.