Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com

Update 5/5/2024 I think we have resolved the recent problems for now, but a total reconstruction of the site is being planned For more information click here: viewtopic.php?p=33804&sid=91e6bc9a093a1 ... 303#p33804

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Rust Repairs

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
tsh4432
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 430174
Bus Model: 1984 Silver Eagle 10

Rust Repairs

Post by tsh4432 »

I can't believe the search feature came up with nothing for "rust". HAHA - I must have done something wrong.

I have some rust issues, the square tubing just in front of the front tires below where the torsion tubes connects. Almost failed a safety inspection, but, talked my way out of it, telling him it was non-structual and that it was the back of the spare tire compartment. Also a wheel well and square tube just below a bay door needs repairs.

I live in Virginia, is there somewhere within a few states that may be able to make these repairs over the winter and what kind of cost should I expect?

Thank you,

Thomas
Thomas S Harris Jr
Lynchburg VA
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Rust Repairs

Post by beltguy »

Hi Thomas

The search feature of our forum software leaves a bit to be desired. That is the reason I added the Google search feature. We are a pretty small forum and it took quite a while for Google to index our forum but it looks like we are getting some results. When I put the term "rust repair" in our forum search, it returns a statement that the term is too common to search :?: :shock: Some of us are pretty familiar with the threads and can sometimes point a person in the correct direction.

There are quite a few places in the project threads that talk about repairing rust.

Almost any good welding shop can do the work. I would avoid big city shops and look for a shop in a farm community. Those folks know how to fix things. If you are handy, you can do part of the work yourself and then maybe call in a portable welder.

The tubing in our buses is metric, but most of the tubing can be replaced with 1 1/2 inch square tubing.

If the existing tubing is not too bad, you can always double tube the area. By that I mean weld a piece of new tubing beside the existing tubing. I have some pictures of that in my project pages.

Depending on the status of your bus, I would do a very thorough inspection of every place you can get to. If your bus has a big rust problem, you will have to decide how much you invest in the repair of the front suspension area. I used an ice pick and small hammer in the engine compartment area since that tubing seems to rust from the inside out.

If you get a chance to post pictures of the rust area, we might be able to offer more thoughts.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
tsh4432
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 430174
Bus Model: 1984 Silver Eagle 10

Re: Rust Repairs

Post by tsh4432 »

Thank you for the quick response. I'll spend some time viewing the info from the google search and post some pictures in a few weeks. Great job on the website.

Thomas
Thomas S Harris Jr
Lynchburg VA