Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Darryl97420's 1978 Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
darryl97420
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05
1986 Eagle 10

Darryl97420's 1978 Eagle 05

Post by darryl97420 »

Well, after all the help I have been asking for I thought I might get the project page going and share a little about how I ended up here.

I've loved buses all my life and specifically remember riding Greyhound to a family thanksgiving in 1986 and noticed how the ride was different. I started looking around the bus to notice the Eagle logo on the driver dash board. The engine sound was the same as other buses I had ridden but this ride was different. Over the years I had become a fan of Eagle and knew I would eventually own one. As a part time School Bus driver, I get to play with buses everyday but I can't take one home and start adding bunks, sofas and plumbing. But I also work for an entertainment company and know that I will need to be more mobile as we open new locations.

About ten years ago a buddy of mine had decided that with their family growing they needed to make some changes in their camping strategies and sell their 1964 Model 01 but I wasn't in a position to buy it and sadly watched it go down the road with someone else behind the wheel. There have been other buses like a 71 Flexible New Look and a 1981 RTS II that would have been fun to work on but nothing ever came either bus.

I have been fill time RVing in my 1974 Arogsy28 trailer for about 6 years now and love it. My house is rented out but , as I suspected, my job will require me to travel more. Not that I will be going very far, only about 100 miles or so each trip, but to stay in other cities for 2 or 3 days at a time. The more I thought about it the more I didn't want to tow my Argosy and set it up and take it down 2 or 3 times a week. This got me to thinking about all the Eagle conversions I had read about. There were so many buses for sale many were just incredible and some were....well, in need of some love. There ware two consistent challenge with these buses either they were so nice I couldn't afford it or I could afford it and it needed more love than my pocket book could muster. There were a few buses that were a days drive away and would choose not to buy. It started to get frustrating SO I started to look at VW campers, they are simple, compact and ready to go at a moments notice.

While searching on Craigslist for "bus" and going through lots of expensive VW campers, I came across an ad that read "tour bus for sale $4800". Quickly I found the reply button and asked "Whatcha got?". A week later after I had forgotten about even replying to the ad I get a response with one picture which only peeked my interest. I asked for more pics and arranged to see the bus. Of all the ads for VW or Big Buses, this bus was only 3 hours away. The other pics were very deceiving because they only showed the good and not the bad that was just out of frame. I started taking pictures and getting agitated by the seller. The bus itself was in decent shape, it was everything else that was a mess. Broken glass, front door gone, garbage everywhere, newer tire on the outside dual and bald tire inside and after hearing from the seller how great it runs...the bus wouldn't crank over. I told the seller that I was disappointed that he wasn't straight with me on the overall condition and that this was a huge project. Not the simple sweep it out and go camping like he said. With that I did make a cash offer that he did take. I told him I would throw in more if he would gut the bus only leaving the toilet, shower, sink, couch and find the doors and install them. He agreed, money changed hands and that's when I learned that there isn't a title. My buddy Gary, who wanted to sell me his 64, was on the phone as my coach had said to be patient and let the deal come together. He had a feeling that it was going to be fine and that he would help me as he could. I went to DMV with the paperwork provided only to learn that there was more to be done. It took about 4 weeks of working with 2 different parties in two different states to finally get DMV satisfied and temporary road permit issued. Not title but a temp permit to get the bus to DMV for a VIN check. Oregon only allows up to 10 temp days per 12 months so I knew I had to budget my time and the permit days. My first permit was for 3 days figuring my dad and I would go down, charge the batteries, add about 15 gallons of fuel, hotwire the bus and get it home all on the first day and keeping the next 2 days as backup. Back up I that I really needed. The bus wouldn't crank...at all. Fortunately people on this board stepped up after I posted my concerns and helped me work though the challenges and on the 11th hour of the last day of my second trip permit we got life into the engine and down the road. That 3 hour trip to the bus took a day and a half to get home in the rain. We pulled over after 1/2 mile to do a walk around and see if there was any issues before taking the freeway. 5 miles later we stopped for fuel and learned that the mist from the back end wasn't mist but smoke from the brakes. Worked through that, replaced a headlight on my dad's explorer who was my pilot car because the bus had head lights, brake lights and turn signals but none of the running lights functioned. We ended up staying the night at a rest area truck stop and continuing the next morning after breakfast, topping fluids and airing the tires. After about 20 miles down the road that bus started to come alive and was so much fun to drive.
Attachments
living room area.jpg
bedroom area.jpg
Driver  side front.jpg
Darryl
1978 Eagle 05, 8V71, Jake Brakes, Alison HT740, Original caps front and back
1986 Eagle 10, Cummins NTC-300, Alison HT740
darryl97420
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05
1986 Eagle 10

Re: Darryl97420's 1978 Eagle 05

Post by darryl97420 »

Here are some shots of a partially gutted Eagle. In the next few days I will take out the remaining contents then start removing the interior skin. I did learn on the drive home, while it was storming out, that the roof air conditioners need to be resealed. Nothing like taking a nap in the recliner at a truck stop only to be waken by drips everywhere. The floors are so bad that they will need to come out. They are tongue and groove OSB that seems to have been glued down. I may need to rent some heavy duty equipment to get them pulled off the original floor.

The wiring under the driver control panel is a mess and have ordered a panel from the Eagle Mall and hope it will remedy some of the wiring challenges. Till it arrives, I will be replacing light bulbs and fabricating some sort of private coach sign for the destination window. If anyone has an idea for that sign feel free to email me.

Recently a member here reached out to me about my rear window and cap. It is kinda cool how the emergency exit is built into the glass. As much as I like looking out the back window, I am considering a cap so that I can use that space as a closet.

The pictures are not of the greatest quality but, to be honest, I'm a little embarrassed of the condition of the bus and was hesitant to show any pics but my daughter says it is a good way to truly see the changes over time by documenting the bad along with the good.

More to come.
Attachments
20151217_102809.jpg
driver area wide shot.jpg
20151112_083437.jpg
20151112_083235.jpg
Darryl
1978 Eagle 05, 8V71, Jake Brakes, Alison HT740, Original caps front and back
1986 Eagle 10, Cummins NTC-300, Alison HT740
longjohn
Bus Model: Dont have a bus yet

Post by longjohn »

Hey Good luck with remodel you are on your way to fun and enjoyment .....................Merry Christmas
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Darryl, thanks for starting the project thread. I still think that this project forum is one of the best features of the site. Most of us can relate to the various "mental phases" you will be going through in the next few months/years. Those of us that stuck with it are really glad that we did.

Keep us updated.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.