Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Rust at Rear Drive Adjuster Mount

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.
bobcat1989
Bus Model: 1995 Eagle Model 20 Caldwell Coach Conversion - "PREAGLE"

Rust at Rear Drive Adjuster Mount

Post by bobcat1989 »

Question for anyone that can help, I replaced inside drive skins with Firestone 24.5's since I couldn't find but two Kelly Armorsteels in the USA and upon having wheels off noticed that the drivers side adjuster has a couple holes rusted through on main frame mount. My question is can you or would you scab over or cut out section and replace with new tubing. This is the large tube running up from bottom and rust holes are just around the adjuster mount area, I will try get a picture and post as i feel that this is a major suspension support member. Thanks for any replies.
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
1995 (Titled as Such) Model 20 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
12" Raised - Caldwell Coach - "PREAGLE"
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Rust at Rear Drive Adjuster Mount

Post by beltguy »

Hi Mike

Once you post the photos (recall that you can post photos of any size directly to the forum with the upload function), we will have a better understanding of the situation.

It sounds like you are describing the Torsilastic tube. If that is the case, hopefully someone will have some thoughts about repairing the tube.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
bobcat1989

Post by bobcat1989 »

Jim, did not get to shop to take pic but it is the frame member running up and down (maybe 3"x3"??) right behind the drive tire running up that wheel arch is fastened to,,,just a couple hole through it where the torso adjustment (think proper piece term) is bolted to,,probably about a 12" piece that is affected based on length of the plate on the adjuster. I will however get to shop on Monday to get a pic as I definitely need to know how to make repairs,,,hope can do without removing siding but if have to will do as needed,,,also while I am asking, is Rust Bullet the best coating out there? I have numerous years with industrial coatings to include minimal surface prep epoxies but really none for rust conversion protection. Have capabilities of pressure abrasive, soda blast and power tool cleaning methods for prep but was wondering about coating. :shock:
Attachments
Driver Side Drive wheel
Driver Side Drive wheel
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
bobcat1989

Post by bobcat1989 »

I found this for reference,,,good news is the Cleaner 210 holds up good on the anodized siding,,,left is before and right is after just one coat,,,LOL,,
Attachments
IMAG1071.jpg
Frame Rust 1.jpg
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mike, the good news is that it is not the Torsilastic tube. I have heard of them cracking but not rusting. The cracks have been repaired with clamps, but I doubt you could do a welded rust repair on the tube due to the rubber inside.

I shoveled a path to the shop and looked at my bus. It looks like you are talking about the tubing structure that mounts the shackle, adjuster mechanism and shock. Obviously, that is repairable. I would take a good awl and small hammer and do some "punching" to see how extensive the damage is. If not too bad, you can probably pate the tube(s).

A good picture will help us "see" what you are facing.

You asked about Rust Bullet. It is great stuff. I have used it and Por 15 and like them both. Por 15 is really adamant about surface prep. Rust Bullet seems to be less so. I don't think either are considered rust converters. The definition of rust conversion is to change the iron oxide to a different form (one product changes it to iron tannate). According to the Rust Bullet website http://www.rustbullet.com/technical/how-it-works, they more or less say that the rust is suspended in the paint.

I am sure that there are folks that will argue both systems (converting vs the Por 15/Rust Bullet systems). The bottom line is that I have done a bunch of searching and I really do not find complaints about Por 15 or Rust Bullet - only satisfied customers.
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
bobcat1989

Post by bobcat1989 »

Thanks Jim, I will do the same tomorrow, get an actual picture of the spot I am referring to. As for the coatings, I will try the Rust Bullet as I am about to start redo of all the bays.

I have all new carpeting to install and want to just "clean up" all the coated areas as well as detailing visible areas. Hope to be able to find some used siding for the closing of the right rear vented area for tool box and fluid storage. I visited BoxcarOkie's page and really liked the way he did his,,,got me excited,,LOL,,,
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Mike as Jim said a picture will help. If the rust is below the shackle mount it is easier to fix. If it is above the mount than a bit more care should be taken. The mount itself is a heavy built part and can stand some rust. If the mount needs to be replaced that part can be bought at Jefferson in OK city. I don't know about used siding but new OEM or mirror finish siding can be purchased at IBP in florida. The OEM is a bit duller that the mirror.

Wayne
bobcat1989

Post by bobcat1989 »

Thanks Wayne, I didn't get pic today as we are having a ice storm as such but I do know it is below, its about 3-4 inches up from bottom of the frame,,,just kind of a few small holes that I want to address. Bottom side is full of mud and dirt so when i knocked it out, I noticed a few small holes. I have had coach 2 years last week and just now starting to address issues that bother me after spending time on forum looking at all the others that have already done that. Kind of like my scooter, its not mine until I get it the way i want it,,well in some sort anyway,,LOL,,again, thanks for the help and look forward to meeting someday.
Mike & Cheryl Kelley
Crossett, AR