Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Normal oil usage 8v71

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
OkieJoe

Normal oil usage 8v71

Post by OkieJoe »

Looked at a bus yesterday with a mechanic buddy of mine that used to work on the Detroit engines back in his military days. Got behind the wheel and it seemed to run well (first time driving an Eagle and I was super excited but also didn't really know any better so it could be not that great also and I would be none the wiser to it). My buddy said the engine looked to be in great shape and it had a little less than 100k on it since rebuild (according to the owner before the current owner but no records that I am aware of). When talking to the current owner about oil usage he said he usually puts 1 gallon in when he stops to fuel up (about every 500 miles or so) and that seems to do it. Is this normal usage, high usage, on the lower end, or should I run for the hills? Again my mechanic buddy kept telling me the engine looked and sounded really well, he acted really impressed with how clean it was and didn't seem concerned. Just wanted some additional thoughts because I really liked the bus! Thanks in advance
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Normal oil usage 8v71

Post by akroyaleagle »

That's an excessive amount of oil, especially for an engine with that mileage.

It may be burning due to wear, or just because it's over full.

You mention it is very clean, that indicates it is not just blowing it out through the breather cap or a blown seal.

If it requires a gallon every 500 miles, it must be exhausting blue smoke.

Try to give us a little more info.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Normal oil usage 8v71

Post by DoubleEagle »

If it does not show blue smoke at any point, then it is leaking it somewhere. If it was leaking, the droplets of oil hitting the air-stream would show up on the rear of the bus or on a towed vehicle, or anybody following too close. Get out on an interstate and have someone tail you and see what they see and/or collect on their windshield. The dual exhaust will reveal if there is a problem on one side only.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746