Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Anyone familiar with this rig?

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
OkieJoe

Anyone familiar with this rig?

Post by OkieJoe »

https://www.rvt.com/Eagle-Bus-Silver-Ea ... ad+Ad+Link

Just contacted the seller on this one. Anyone familiar with this bus personally? Also the listing has 1,000,000+ miles listed as actual miles, I know these things can run for a great distance but at what point is it past its point of no return? Engine has somewhat recently been rebuilt and looks clean in pic (I know this could be old photo, but at first glance looks promising). Any help would be appreciated.

Update: looks like he has a potential buyer coming in from Ohio to take a look so I may be outta luck. Thanks for the reply Joe!
Last edited by OkieJoe on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Anyone familiar with this rig?

Post by akroyaleagle »

In my opinion, that is a steal if it will work for you.
It's a 45'er. 6V92 is fine.
Look at the suspension and try her out.
I'd have to change the entertainer interior, but if it will work, that's a great buy!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
bull02

Post by bull02 »

That looks pretty cool!
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

https://westslope.craigslist.org/bar/d/ ... 54120.html
Found another bus I am going to try to take a look at later this month. It has a DD series 50 engine with 150k or so on it. I havent seen many Series 50 conversions in my searching over the last year or so (lots of Series 60s). Anyone ever done one or driven one? Wonder if it will be underpowered or hard to find parts for. Anyone know this rig personally and can give me a good review on it? Any help would be great!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Joe, that is a good looking bus.

One of our club members did a series 50 swap and was very pleased with it.

Sadly the ad really does not have much info. The focus seems to be trading for real estate. My guess is that the price is pretty negotiable.

I really don't know much about Series 50, but the only complaint seems to be the rough idle. They do have balance counter shafts that need to be replaced after a lot of miles.

Perhaps the more important question might be what transmission it has in it. Series 50/60 engines like to run in the 1400 to 1600 range. If it has a world transmission, all is good. If it has an HT 740 and a 3.70 rear gear ratio (fairly common) the engine would be running in the 2,000 range at 70 MPH.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

OkieJoe wrote:https://westslope.craigslist.org/bar/d/ ... 54120.html
Found another bus I am going to try to take a look at later this month. It has a DD series 50 engine with 150k or so on it. I havent seen many Series 50 conversions in my searching over the last year or so (lots of Series 60s). Anyone ever done one or driven one? Wonder if it will be underpowered or hard to find parts for. Anyone know this rig personally and can give me a good review on it? Any help would be great!
This particular bus might be okay, but it sold twice on eBay in the last year, and both times the buyers backed out. It is located in Colorado, and the winning bids were in the thirty something thousand dollar range. Inspect carefully, and make any offers realistic. The 45' from Texas with the Series 60 engine has been discussed on the BCM forum extensively, and that Pop RV outfit has a negative one feedback rating on eBay. The interior is not done at a quality level, it only has a 8K generator, and two rooftop A/C's. It is way overpriced. Keep looking.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

The blue rig in Colorado has sold on ebay 2 times in the last year? I found another link to it https://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=68542 that states it has the 6 speed world allison transmission so that is a plus for me based on the RPM info Jim mentioned. From the photos it seemed like a pretty well built interior, the exterior seems to be in decent shape and ride height looks ok. My concern is only 2 rooftop AC and only 8KW generator. Does anyone in the forum know why the buyers backed out of it on ebay if it was the blue rig you were speaking of? Thanks for the quick responses and all the info you provided.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

The second link is interesting and encouraging.

Two roof airs will generally cool a parked 40 foot Eagle if it has good insulation and decent windows/window coverings. Obviously 3 is better. Adding a third unit is quite a bit of work when the ceiling is finished, but doable. However the issue is sufficient cooling when driving. Installation of a strong dash air can take care of that. We have a good dash air and when we close off the back half of the bus we feel comfortable (without running the generator/roof airs) and our bus is not well insulated.

The 8 KW is not a show stopper. For one, a 10 or 12 kw will probably fit in the same area if you need to upgrade and the 8 KW will probably have a decent resale value.

Certainly worth looking at.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

I looked at the second link and it looks like they mounted a second alternator in the location where an AC compressor was mounted.

A second alternator is great if one powers the chassis battery set and one powers the house battery set. By far it is best to keep the two systems separate.

Adding an AC compressor for a dash air system should not be a big deal as the series 50/60 have a lot of mounting bracket options/front cover bosses. Running AC hoses and the condenser are not a huge deal. The biggest challenge would be the selection of an evaporator that has sufficient capacity and can be incorporated in the dash area. We are thrilled with our Red Dot unit that has large AC and heating capacity.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

OkieJoe wrote:The blue rig in Colorado has sold on ebay 2 times in the last year? I found another link to it https://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=68542 that states it has the 6 speed world allison transmission so that is a plus for me based on the RPM info Jim mentioned. From the photos it seemed like a pretty well built interior, the exterior seems to be in decent shape and ride height looks ok. My concern is only 2 rooftop AC and only 8KW generator. Does anyone in the forum know why the buyers backed out of it on ebay if it was the blue rig you were speaking of? Thanks for the quick responses and all the info you provided.
I don't remember what the one in Colorado had for a generator and A/C, but the 45' in Texas has the 8K and 2 A/C's. The Colorado one was a coach that I followed through two auctions because I wanted to see how it did. On the third attempt it apparently did not meet the reserve, and did not sell. He has been trying to sell it for a year, at least. I just tried the rvonline.com site, and nothing came up. If it is tied to Pop RV, it is a flaky outfit, in my opinion. They scan the web for ads, and then try to sell it for the owner at a jacked up price. They know nothing about converted coaches, and only have pictures of the inside and outside, but not the engine, and no mechanical details. I do not recommend going through a dealer or broker, it only increases the asking price. Deal directly with an owner that knows about the coach. If they cannot tell you about it in detail or provide copies of bills for work done, go elsewhere. ;)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746