Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Soon to be bus owner!!!

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Slandry786

Soon to be bus owner!!!

Post by Slandry786 »

First thanks for letting me join. I have been poking around trying to learn for a bit now. The wife and I are looking to buy a bus and convert it to fit are needs. We are planning to travel with 4 kids and pets. We have looked at several older conversions and think we would be better off starting from nothing. So long story short I'm going to look at an eagle 10 (1983 I think) tomorrow. It belongs to a church and has been sitting for some time. I'm very mechanical so i know what to look for there but I'm hunting any advice about rust, suspension and just eagle related things to look at. I have printed the inspection post and will be taking it along. Sorry for the long fist post but im a bit excited, I will try and post the pics I have. Thanks for all the help I have already gotten just by poking around!
Slandry786

Re: Soon to be bus owner!!!

Post by Slandry786 »

thumbnail.jpg
bus3.jpg
00o0o_4EpsOn4bz7x_600x450.jpg
bus5.jpg
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

You must get that bus for next to nothing!

It looks to have been abused.

Bumper corners are not cheap. It will need many parts. Some may be hard to find. I didn't look to closely at the photos but saw enough to give my advice.

My advice is to keep looking and get something cleaner (nicer). You can then put your money into the conversion. This may have the 8V71. A conversion to a 92 is not cheap. It is a 4 speed. You will probably not like that. A conversion to automatic is also not cheap.

Have you looked at entertainer coachs? They will come with bunks but some of those may be in your future with four kids. It would be easier to convert to your needs and you could use it while you convert!

For your sake, think this through and do not let stars in your eyes cloud your vision.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Slandry786

Post by Slandry786 »

Joe thanks for the reply. We are going to look at it tomorrow just look lol. How cheep is dirt cheep? There asking 2500. From what I under stand its a 1983 so wouldn't it be a 6v91 and 5 speed? We have talked about the entertainer buses but with the up front cost and then it still not fitting are needs we just keep coming back to doing it are self. But I am taking all the advice I can to heart.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Shawn, welcome to our forum.

It sounds like you found the thread on inspecting an Eagle Bus. Just to make sure, here is the link:
http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... f=5&t=4343

You are approaching this correctly: asking experienced folks for guidance. Once you have more data, we would be glad to vet the bus further if you wish.

At $2500 you will be paying scrap value. That sounds good, but the purchase price is often the least cost of the conversion. If you need tires, any transmission or engine work, or front end work, the cost can be huge. It looks like the bus ride height is not too bad, but you still need to check the available adjustment on the bolts.

If it is a 6V92 you will have the turbo and be better equipped to deal with altitude. If the engine needs rebuilding, you are talking about $10-15K easily. Lots of folks learn to deal with a four speed. If it is a five speed, that would be better.

Do not rush into this bus. Take lots of pictures and pay a lot of attention to the smoke from the engine. If you are able to start it cold, you could expect to see some white smoke, but it should clear up fairly quickly. When you drive it watch for the exhaust smoke. After the engine is warmed up, under full throttle, you should expect to see some black smoke, but at anything up to maybe 3/4 throttle you should not see all that much.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Slandry786

Post by Slandry786 »

Ok so we got to take a look at her yesterday and she's a bit rough but I think she's still worth saving. I'm working with the owners to let me work on her a bit and see if I can get her running (I do mobile mechanic work for a living). One question I have is concerning one of her front suspension tubes, there is a bit of rubber coming out one end. There's 2 plus inches of adjustment on all 6 of them. I have read the rubber coming out is not good but I have been in able to fine out if there rebuild able or if replacements are available. Unfortunately she's has the 8v71 instead of the 6v92t but its backed by a 5 speed. I'm going to post a pic of the front tube I'm concerned a bout and the vin if anyone still has access to vin info I would sure like to know her history.

Thanks Shawn
the rubber is showing on the left end
the rubber is showing on the left end
IMG_1019.JPG (141.45 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
best I can tell vis is 1EUAN8B19D8031094 build date July 83
best I can tell vis is 1EUAN8B19D8031094 build date July 83
IMG_0999.JPG (155.95 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Post by Bus & Car »

30194 was new to Grove City, whomever they may have been. I've never heard of them so they were likely a small tour and charter outfit. No telling how many times it has changed hands since 1983. I did not find anything showing they had bought any other new Eagles but my records for non-Trailways Inc; buses get spotty from the time the Model 10 was introduced.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
Slandry786

Post by Slandry786 »

Bus & Car wrote:30194 was new to Grove City, whomever they may have been. I've never heard of them so they were likely a small tour and charter outfit. No telling how many times it has changed hands since 1983. I did not find anything showing they had bought any other new Eagles but my records for non-Trailways Inc; buses get spotty from the time the Model 10 was introduced.
Did you miss type? She would be 31094 correct? Still very interesting just makes me wanna know more.
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Post by Bus & Car »

Hmm...

:oops:

I know Miss Type very well. She lives over in the next block...

I do not have anything on your bus. There are a couple of topics on Eagle Production Records on here
that you can have a look at.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
Slandry786

Post by Slandry786 »

dang even less info than before :x I have looked at every post I can find and nothing. I'm going to go see if I can get her to run!!