Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

40' vs 45' and engine comparison

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
OkieJoe

40' vs 45' and engine comparison

Post by OkieJoe »

Alright guys I'm back with more questions. I have seen several Eagle Buses listed at 45' and wondered what the thoughts are on any possible cons to going with a 45' (the extra length would be great in my mind to help put bunks or other bedding options in for the kiddos)? Also is this a factory size or are all of these simply cut and lengthened by one of the previous owners?
Also this may have already been posted but a stock engine comparison would be great info to have when looking for a bus as I currently am. Anyone have a simple pros and cons list of each stock engine option available (i.e. power, gas mileage, maintenance issues, higher repair costs, or other issues/benefits to each of the different engines). Sorry to constanly ask questions and pick your brains, but you all know more in your pinky fingers than I can find in multiple hours of searching.
Thanks again!
Joey
thomasinnv
Bus Model: 1998 MCI 102-DL3
11.1 Series 60 w/ Allison B500

Re: 40' vs 45' and engine comparison

Post by thomasinnv »

I went from a 40' mci8 to a 45' DL3 about a year ago. I have realized no additional hardship or limitation becuase of the additional length. The only real difference maintenance wize is the steerable tag axle which was not operational at time of purchase. Other than that i don't see where there would be any difference in maintenance or operating costs. They're all the same parts. Go for it, you won't regret having more space.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

I normally don't get involved in these issues as they are all very much personal choices. In the 20 plus years of owning, converting, traveling and all in all enjoying our Eagle, I have knowledge of some things.
One important factor in considering the 45 ft. length is that some states limit your travel in distance from the major highways. They typically require the same license as a 40 ft, if over 26,000 lbs GVW. In my case, my bus weighs at 36,000 with all wet tanks, etc. IF you drive a 45 at that weight, in some states you will require a medical exam every two years or so as I understand it.
I know several 45 ft, conversions and they do add a lot of space, interior and an additional bay. One important thing is to make sure the extension was done properly, absolutely, carefully proper.
Re the power, again very personal. Some swear by the Detroit 2 cycles, whether 8V or 6V. I contend the important thing here is get the most power you can. My bus started with a natural 8V71 and I put about 150,000 miles on that. As is became tired, I started to look at options. Several have replaced with 8V92 and are very happy. Some have gone to the Detroit Series 60, also crazy happy. I chose to go to the Cummins M-11 of which there are different models. Mine is a 450HHP ISM. It has the internal crusie control and 2 stage Jake brake. It has given me a mileage improvement from 4 1/2 / 5 mpg to a solid 7 1/2, and sometimes if I don't push hard, I can get 8. There are some better and worse. I love mine. One small issue the M-11 allows is that it fits without raising the floor in the back of the bus at all. The upgrades to the 8V92 as I understand doesn't either, the Series 60's do need to raise an area above the engine by 10". We were too far along with our conversion to even consider raising the bedroom floor.
Hope this helps. I invite other so to jump on anything I said they disagree with. That is how we learn to make our hobby work so well.
Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Stick with a 40 ft Eagle my 45 ft Eagle says the turning radius is 53ft 9in that is more than 10 ft than my MCI like Derricks.Lol it is more like 65 ft,I love my Eagles but a 45ft MCI and other brands are a lot easier to get around in than a Eagle, if I could just make a MCI look like a Eagle nothing has the curb appeal of a Eagle IMO
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Did the 15 come stock as a 45 ft option? Have seen some listed on various sites from the late 80s and early 90s as 45ft and they dont act like it was a modification. Also what is the turn radius on a 40ft? Does the 5ft make that much difference when it comes to the radius because the added space would be great IMO. Thanks for all the input so far!
Last edited by OkieJoe on Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

The 15 did have the option of the 45 ft mine is a factory RV shell,the turning radius on a 40ft Eagle is 45 ft a difference of over 8 ft.Eagles could have any engine the customer ordered I have seen them with Cats,Cummins and Detroits.Freedom Eagles were Cummins powered because he did tours for Cummins,then Peoria Lines Eagles were Cat powered with the 3306 because that is the world head quarters for Cat.Both Freedom and Peoria have sold off their Eagles so they pop up from time to time
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Where would I look to determine if it was a factory 45 or modified? Will the serial number from the factory tell me that somewhere in its numbers? I am planning to look at a 45' eagle at the end of the week and would like to have this info to make an educated decision.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

The history of Eagle VIN numbers is a little disheveled, and so far as I know, there was no identifier in the VIN that would tell you whether the coach was a 35, 40, or 45. The 12th and 13th digits indicate which model it is (10, 10S, 15 or 20). It looks like the possibility of a factory 45' could have only been done between 1989 and 1997, therefore, only Model 15's and 20's were candidates. The codes for Model 15's were either 07 or 08 (The 08 indicated it was for Trailways or Greyhound). Model 20's were code 09, only.

The factory version should have aluminum flat panels above the fluted siding, so if there is slightly wavy fiberglass in the mid-section, it was done by others. Another indication would be the quality of welds on the framing, unless the converter was very sharp. I would not be surprised if there were more 45 footers out there that are stretched 40 footers, but who ever kept track? There are two 45' Eagles for sale on eBay right now, both of which were aftermarket stretches. I am confident the quality level of roof risings and stretches varies from bad amateur to highly professional, so inspect closely. One thing is for sure, you only get five more feet of space, but it will seem that your turning radius increase will be greater than that, and some states have restrictions on 45 footers on secondary roads. :?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Vin: 1eufn8b15mb011320
Ran a quick check online and it does come back as a 91 like the owner claims. He states to his knowledge it is a factory 45' but isn't certain. I think I will look it over and just be very observant with the siding. Really wish these vin numbers were coded for specific options. Thanks for all the info!
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

OkieJoe wrote:Vin: 1eufn8b15mb011320
Ran a quick check online and it does come back as a 91 like the owner claims. He states to his knowledge it is a factory 45' but isn't certain. I think I will look it over and just be very observant with the siding. Really wish these vin numbers were coded for specific options. Thanks for all the info!
Well, your (possible) coach illustrates once again that Eagle was not consistent with their VIN codes. This one has a 01 12th & 13th code. It could be a factory 45' because it was produced after 1989. The best clue would be smooth aluminum flat siding in the midsection. They applied it hot so that it would not "oil can" in the summer. Many conversions have wavy siding that was not applied as well. Look down the side carefully from several angles, it should be flat as a pool table in one continuous sheet.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746