Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Help with value of a bus

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Help with value of a bus

Post by akroyaleagle »

You don't state what you plan to do with the coach. Do you want a run out entertainer that doesn't even have fenders? A lot of things I noticed, might be spendy to replace. I stopped watching because I was so turned off by what I had already seen. Do you want a RV? We can help more if we know more about your needs.

You received some very valuable info from the best, and some info from another of the best. Please heed it!

For the reasons stated, and many more, if I were you, I would leave the first coach alone.
It has been abused very badly!

The second coach shows more promise. Please get someone to evaluate it if possible. Personally, I would walk away from it too. It has the old 8V71N and 4 speed. It could run $40K or more to upgrade. That means it will be severely lacking in power above 4000'. How much could you do. Would you be willing to do it?

It needs "some" engine work. That is a very broad statement. To me it means it will have to be replaced. It is not worth repairing. IMO.
It's a shame the converter did such a nice looking job to convert it and did not spend the money for a decent power train. Also some problems in the statement "the inverter is fried". Could be major electrical problems. The tires will age out probably before you could get it on the road. Not too major, $3500 to 4000 for a set. It appears to me that he has a lot of problems with the coach and has resigned himself to just dispose of it. Bad vibes based on the information available!

There are a lot of very nice Eagles out there. Keep looking! You may want to register on the Silver Eagle Owners Facebook page. May not be cool to say that here, but I believe Jim will forgive me this time. We've been friends a long time.

Play around in the Archives of this Board. There are some documents that will help you.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Thanks for the fast response! I have already moved on from the first coach for the reasons mentioned by everyone responding. I really liked the 2nd conversion with the slideout and setup, but the thought of having so many issues with the powertrain definitely has me somewhat concerned. I will do some more questioning of the owner to get down to specifics with him before deciding to take a look or not. Thanks again!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I have mixed thoughts about the second bus.

The person selling it seems to be the person who did the conversion. If you have a way to contact him and TALK to him directly you might be able to get a better feeling of how qualified he is to do major structural modifications.

Slide outs are a challenge to do properly. The tubing frame must be heavily reinforced. If you can get pictures of his work, we might be able to give you a better idea of the value.

The issue is that the bid closes Sunday and there is no reserve, so it will sell. That does not give you much time to get more detailed information.

Without construction photos, I would be concerned.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.