Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Help with value of a bus

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
OkieJoe

Help with value of a bus

Post by OkieJoe »

I am possibly going to take a look at a bus in the next few weeks down here in Oklahoma. Looking for some help putting a ballpark value on it to see if it is worth my time and the sellers time. Here is a link to the walk through on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeyGXBlykA
It will need some work from the looks of it but hopefully that video tells more to someone that knows these buses better than I do. Thanks in advance for any help given!
Joey
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Help with value of a bus

Post by beltguy »

Hi Joey. You are doing what I always recommend: present your purchase candidate here and let us take a look at it.

I am a bit concerned about this bus. The video does not address the potential major issues: rust and Torsilastic. He casually mentions no rust, but does not show any of the typical areas that would show the rust condition. He shows the Torsilastic tube, but not the adjustments. The bus is sitting at a good height, but you need to know if there is adjustment for the future.

At one point he mentions that the electrical is done professionally. Other than the breaker box, I don't see evidence that a "professional" did the the work. Certainly the conversion was not done by a professional. The water system is really crude and no mention was made of a black tank. Capacities are very small.

The generator is just sitting there. No enclosure. It needs to be in a sound box.

No mention of the heating system except maybe in the roof airs, and those don't do well in cold weather. No mention of house battery bank or inverter.

I can't tell what the engine is. Has turbo, so you would guess that it is a 6V92 or 8V92. No miter box, so maybe 8V92. The fact that he did not fire it up, makes me suspicious. I would have waited to get the batteries charged and then started the engine.

Interior is always a personal choice, but this one is a bit crude.

If you look at this as a bus that will be stripped and redone, then it might be a reasonable candidate. IF repeat IF, the owner can send you send you rust and Torsilastic info and some measure of engine condition, then it might be worth $10K and that might be a stretch. I would not count on the house systems being reliable from what I saw.

Wish I could give it a better grade.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Jim,
Thank you for the reply. Those are some of the same concerns I was having (minus the suspension since I am a newbie with that part of it). I may just keep my eyes open for a bus in better shape with less work needed. Thank you again!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Joey, it sounds like the bus is in the same state you are.

Maybe it would be a good learning experience to take a look at the bus and go over it in some detail using the information in this thread: http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... f=5&t=4343

It is possible that this is a sleeper and the person is not good at marketing {very slight chance}. Also, it might have a bottom line selling price that would make it a possible candidate for rebuilding (less than 5K would be my personal max unless further inspection revealed a better value).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

That is not a bad looking 15 there was no rust in front wheel well or the baggage uprights that is good sign,it has a 6v92 with the hydraulic fan that I don't care for those are always a problem, being a 88 model that could be a CorTen steel subframe.For the right price that could be a good bus IMO.What part of OK if it's close to OKC Steve Weatherford is good guy to do a inspection on a Eagle he may even know the bus already
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

It is in the OKC area according to the owner. Is Steve Weatherford on this forum or does he own a diesel shop in the area or something?
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F419288
Bus Model: 1967, SILVER EAGLE, MODEL 01 SE, 4 SPEED MANUEL, VIN # 7080

Post by sunlovers »

Joey,
You will find Steve on Facebook most of the time in the Silver Eagle Bus Owners group. You may also find him on the Silver Eagle Bus group. Please note that these are closed groups and you will have to join. Steve is a great guy with wealth of knowledge. Hope this helps.
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
'67 Model 01 SE, 4 speed man.
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Steve has his own page on F/B "Vintage Bus Mechanic" I sent him a PM maybe he will read it but I don't have a contact number for him or you
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

Thanks for the help everyone!
OkieJoe

Post by OkieJoe »

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1969-Model-07-20 ... Ciid%253A4

Any thoughts on this bus. Asked the owner about the starting issue and he said starter batteries are shot and won't hold a charge (cost to replace this?) Also that it is wired for 50 amp but inverter is fried (cost or thoughts on that). Made no mention of mechanical issues or other issues with the house systems. Any help would be appreciated.