Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

help on value please

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
zoomjay

help on value please

Post by zoomjay »

I am new to the forum and appreciate any help that you can provide. My folks (who live in New Mexico) bought a Silver Eagle (passenger config - from a church) several years ago with the intent of converting it into an RV. Many years (and a fire at the storage location where many of the parts where stored) later... and the project is about 1/3 - 1/2 done with no chance of completion. Thus, the bus needs to be sold and we are trying to figure out what it is worth. The specs on it:

Mid 70's Silver Eagle - not sure of the exact year...maybe 1974
It has between 250,000 and 300,000 miles on it. We think it was a Continental Trailways for a while, then went to a church... then in my parent's hands
Dad (mechanic by training) tells me that it has a Detroit Diesel 871 motor. Original - never been rebuilt
4 speed transmission

It is currently not running although once the weather warms up we will be able to get it started and moving. We believe that everything will still work although am thinking that the brakes will be out of round, etc. From the pictures you see that the windows are not in it (and yes, it has been sitting like this for a few years). The windows are there and we will be able to put them in before it goes anywhere - to help make it easier for it to go down the road.

Any thoughts/ideas on value are welcome. BTW, this is a big anniversary year for my folks (50)... so, if we make enough from it to pay for the party... bonus!!!!
Attachments
bus1.JPG
bus2.JPG
bus3.JPG
bus4.JPG
bus5.JPG
bus6.JPG
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: help on value please

Post by Bus & Car »

Hello

You have a Model 05, built between 1969 and 1979. You could help us with the Chassis/VIN/Frame number, just the last four or five digits. You can find it by opening the engine door. Look just inside the lower right corner of the door opening and there's a cross beam just behind the bumper Your number will be on a small metal plaque that is welded onto the upper side of the cross beam. You may need a brush of some sort to remove the dirt and rust to be able to read it.

Looking at the photos, I would think you would be lucky to get $5,000 for it as is.

If it is a fairly late model, that 250,000-300-000 miles on the engine may be correct. Trailways went under in 1987. The better buses were used by Greyhound for a while and the others sold. The 8V-71 engine was good for at least 500,000 miles between overhauls and 700,000 or more was not unheard of if it had received good care.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: help on value please

Post by beltguy »

The two biggest issues with Eagle are rust and Torsilastic suspension condition. If either of these are issues with this bus, it will likely have to be sold for parts or scrapped :cry:

The fact that it has sat without windows is not a good sign.

It sounds like the bus is located in New Mexico. Confirmation of the location may help sell the bus.

I sure wish we had better news for you.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.