Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Looking to purchase an Eagle Motorhome conversion!

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
Rickyoday
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle Model 10

Looking to purchase an Eagle Motorhome conversion!

Post by Rickyoday »

Hello!
I'm a new member here at Eagles International! I'm hoping to purchase an Eagle Motorhome conversion for full time rv-ing . I'd love to find a coach from this site because after reading many of the posts, I believe the members are straight up guys, and wouldn't steer me wrong.
I'd like to buy a coach that's ready to go as my job doesn't permit time off for a project. I really like Prather's 1972 Eagle and I hope to purchase that when it becomes available!
If there are any there comparable coaches, please let me know!
Thanks,
Rickyoday
Rick Oday
1982 Eagle Model 10 Stealth RV Conversion
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Looking to purchase an Eagle Motorhome conversion!

Post by beltguy »

Welcome to our forum Rickyoday.

Obviously you have been looking in the Eagle Mall forum. I also suspect that you are looking at other sites where Eagles are listed. One of the things I always encourage is for folks to post what they are looking at so that we can help you vet the candidate.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Rickyoday

Post by Rickyoday »

Hi Jim!
Thanks for adding me! You are correct Sir, I have been on this site many times "shopping" at the Mall, and reading the many informative posts! I did see how one member was looking at Eagles elsewhere, and the other members were giving him advice and informed opinions. I will definitely welcome that help!
I've been a truck driver since the '70's, was an owner/operator for years, and was a light and medium duty truck mechanic as well. I owned and operated a 10 wheel straight truck that was about 40' long, so I think that should help with driving the coach. That said, I know very little about buses, and have no experience with the 2 stroke Detroit.
In Prather's 1972 coach he has a standard 9 speed Eaton transmission. I'm guessing that since the engine and transmission are in the rear, does that mean the shift pattern will be right to left, instead of left to right like the truck I'm driving now? Is the Eaton Trans in an Eagle the same as the Eaton Road Ranger in my truck now? Once underway, can I shift without using the clutch? Must I double clutch? Inquiring minds want to know!
Another question I have is a guy has a video on YouTube Titled "Starting the 2 Stroke Detroit". He goes to the right rear of the bus, opens the engine access door, throws some switch, then pushes a starter button. Is that how buses are started? No key start from inside?
I don't want this post to be a novel, but I have many questions. I'll search the site to see if they've already been answered by the members in the past.
Thanks again, and I'll definitely post the buses I'm looking at!
Rickyoday
Rick Oday
Rickyoday

Post by Rickyoday »

Hi Eagle Drivers!
I found the answers to my Eagle bus transmission questions, but I haven't found the answer to the starting questions.
Any info would be welcome!
Thanks,
Rickyoday
Rick Oday
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Many Eagles had the ability to start the engine in both the front and back. If the bus has stock wiring, there should be a switch in back that will determine in which position (front or back) the bus can be started. I am not sure about all the models, but my 10 had a rotating switch and push button on the dash. The rotating switch had a big capacity and turned on a lot of stuff. There was no key switch on mine.

I would be interested to know what you found out about the shifting pattern. Anytime an Eagle was converted from the standard 4 speed, to a 9/10/13 speed, the shift linkage had to be modified. Some used a Kenworth cabover cable shift tower. Some used a rare Eagle cable shift tower and modified the linkage. Most of the conversions I have seen had the shift pattern upside down.

You asked about shifting process. With the old 4 speed, it was almost impossible to shift without double clutching. With the 9 speed (and up), many folks get to the point that they can upshift without the clutch. It is harder in a bus because you can't hear the engine as well, and you can't feel the gear engagement (light pressure on the shift lever to "feel" when the gears can mesh) with all the linkage. However, as you know, it is more a rhythm process rather than a listen/feel process.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Rickyoday

Post by Rickyoday »

Hi Jim!
Thanks for the info! The "starting the bus from outside" was a big concern! I can think of many scenarios where that would be undesirable! I haven't asked about the shift pattern yet, so I'll let you know what I find out.
I am looking for an Eagle on every site I can find, so when I find something I'll post a link and see what the members think!
Thanks again,
Rickyoday
Rick Oday
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

The start button in the back would allow a mechanic, owner, etc. to start the bus for checking mechanical issues, etc. That way you don't need a second person to start the bus when he saw you in the mirror jumping up & down & waving your arms since it's too far to verbally communicate. I liked the button so I could just listen to that 2 stroke up close & personal. :D
As far as a Coach basically ready to go have you got a budget price in mind? Some Eagle models lack for easily available parts for issues that 'will' occur. The guys here can steer you to the more
reliable models. You will do yourself a huge favor if you're able to get an Eagle from one of these members who've put a lot (not just money) into their unit that they've finally talked themselves into parting with. One thing that many of us here can share with you is there's a lot of buses available that have less than 10K on an overhaul or has 'really low mileage' even though the odometer
hasn't worked in some time. Others will probably second me on this one. Good luck in your searches.
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Rickyoday

Post by Rickyoday »

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply! The rear starting feature makes perfect sense! I don't have the money some of these buses bring, but I can go as high as 45k. That said, I'm like everyone else who wants it all for cheap!
I welcome any advice from the members,and I'll post any Eagles I find elsewhere here.
Thanks!
Rickyoday
Rick Oday