Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Cost to rebuild a Detroit motor?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Kerrybomb11
Bus Model: 1976 Silver Eagle Tour Bus

Cost to rebuild a Detroit motor?

Post by Kerrybomb11 »

Anyone know roughly what a rebuild would cost on my 1975 Silver Eagle bus with a Detroit Turbo Diesel motor?
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: Cost to rebuild a Detroit motor?

Post by DoubleEagle »

To begin with, a 1975 Eagle would not have had a Turbo Diesel originally, so you need to know what engine you have. Someone put something else in such as a 6V92, a military 8V71, or a 8V92. Costs depend on what engine, the level of rebuild (inframe vs out of frame), which components need overhaul, etc., all effect the price. It could be from $3000-5000, or over $20,000 in a professional shop that gives a guarantee. Depending on what you perceive is wrong with the engine, it might only need a repair, or something as simple as changing the fuel filters.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Post by frodnew »

Great advice Walter. My bus has a Detroit 6v92 in it. The seller noticed that while driving it up the mountains toward his shop about 1.5 hours away, that the turbo didn't kick in like it should have. Once he got it to his place, he had his mechanic look into it while he called up the previous driver to ask if he noticed the lack of power. The driver said no and that it's not the turbo. Luck was on my side because the mechanic found areas related to air leaks which he meticulously went thru and fixed. Now she kicks in and runs like a boss!! Best part is that during the fluid changes, minor fixes and a good run to test things, oil did not fly. The cost was very low compared to what it could've been. As you mention, you just never know!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Fantastic that you did not have to do a rebuild.

Turbo boost can also be affected by clogged fuel and air filters. Also a clogged exhaust system. I always recommend a simple boost gauge installed on the dash to monitor turbo pressure. Should be in the 15-25 PSI range at full throttle and fairly high RPM as I recall (been a long time since I had a 6V92 in the bus)

As you have seen preached here many times, be very careful to keep the engine temperature below 200-205. If it were me, I would install a GOOD engine coolant temperature gauge in the back and then check it against your dash unit. Some folks have suggested using an infrared gauge and that is poor advice in my opinion, since it does not measure actual water temperature and relies on the "color" (emissivity) of the part you are shooting at. Most cheap guns do not have an emissivity adjustment.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.