Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

What are These?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
AUSSIE EAGLE 10
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10

What are These?

Post by AUSSIE EAGLE 10 »

Without sounding like a total idiot!! Can someone tell me what these are please? I assume one is a generator of sorts but the other with the shaft which runs off power i'm stumped.
Attachments
20180228_142057.jpg
20180301_084940.jpg
20180301_084959.jpg
20180228_141740.jpg
Ddwhite164

Re: What are These?

Post by Ddwhite164 »

You have it right, they are all generators. The one with a shafts is just gear driven. Those were comon on older engines 8-)

Dewayne
AUSSIE EAGLE 10

Thanks for that
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I think those are the DN50 (?) large amp (like 250-300 amp) generators. They command quite a bit of money in the US. I doubt that your Cummins would have a gear drive alternator. Those make folks a bit nervous because of the heavy gear loading and possibility of a gear failure and resulting major engine damage.

You will have to decide whether you want to use that big of alternator. If it is in good operating condition, then maybe it should be used. Some folks want them so they can run an AC unit off their inverter and need the big amp supply.

I chose to use the typical truck alternators (in the 100 amp range). I use two of them- one for the engine battery system (stock engine configuration) and a second one for the house battery system. I really like to keep the two systems separate. Using the truck type alternators would allow me to get a new one at almost any parts store.

BTW, I would think that those gear driven units would make one hell of a welding generator with some fairly simple controls and some sort of engine. Folks used to use aircraft starters for welders a ton of years ago.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

The top one is a make shift oil cooled 50D that looks like some one tried to rig a drive to make it belt driven,the second alternator is the run of the mill belt driven air cooled 50D from a Eagle btw the oil cooled 50D produce more amps that a air cooled 50D, like 30 amps more
AUSSIE EAGLE 10

Thanks fella's, i have no idea what to do with them as yet? The top one i do know that it has been reconditioned, they weigh a ton!! as everything does on these buses. It's no surprise they get low fuel milage! All the extra weight they carry. Anyway i will pop them in the shed, i'm sure they will have a use.