Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

tag axle brakes lock up

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
woody
FMCA #: F435055
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle, 05, Cummins Big Cam 4, 350HP, with fuller 9 speed trans.

tag axle brakes lock up

Post by woody »

1978 Eagle 05, havng trouble with tag axle brakes locking up sliding tires and the drive axle and steering axle dont appear to be getting enough pressure to stop bus. have tried adjustment etc., someone told me the tag axle brake should have a valve reducing pressure to the chambers? maybe the torsion bars set up is too light on these wheels? any help 0r suggestions thanks
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Re: tag axle brakes lock up

Post by Jim H »

Woody, The first thing I would want to know is the individual weights of the Right and Left Tag. Second, was anything altered, such as ride height, prior to the problem you're experiencing?
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Re: tag axle brakes lock up

Post by DoubleEagle »

I might be too late to help you, but your problem is probably related to not enough weight on the bogie axles (tag axles are in the rear), and/or too tight an adjustment on the brake slack adjuster. To save on flat spots on your tires, back off the slack adjuster a little bit so that they do not engage as soon as the drive axle, but you have to check the amount of weight the bogies are carrying (should be around 5,000 lbs, each). The only way to correct it is to loosen the mounting arm on the splined shaft and move it to get the correct load. A shop that is willing to do it might want around a thousand, but many owners have done it themselves following the manual and postings on this and other boards.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746