Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

smart tire monitor

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

smart tire monitor

Post by rusty »

On my 15 I am using super singles on the rear two axles. I am using 2 inch offset rims. From what I have been reading 0 offset is better for the bearings. I have been looking at the Smart tire monitors that mount to the rim instead of the valve stem mount system. I think I can monitor the heat better with the rim mount than the valve stem system. All so smart tire will work with silverleaf system.
Does anyone have any experience with this system.
It looks like the battery life is about 5 or 6 years driving 10 hours a day. So the batteries will last longer than I want to keep a set of tires

Thank You Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: smart tire monitor

Post by beltguy »

Wayne, I am not sure of how the name reads: Smart Tire or Smartire. I think in the early days it was the two words. This is the site today: http://www.bendix.com/en/products/tpms/tpms_1.jsp.

When I was in the business, Smartire was the best product around. The only drawback was the need to dismount the tire. around 2010 or so they got into financial trouble as I recall. Now I see that they are a division of Bendix and seem to concentrate on the commercial market (both great factors). Plus, the Silverleaf will work with the system as I recall.

I vote to go for it.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Wayne I have the Smartire on my Landoll and Pete 1 band broke a few months back that is the only trouble I have had in 2 years
thomasinnv
Bus Model: 1998 MCI 102-DL3
11.1 Series 60 w/ Allison B500

Post by thomasinnv »

I have the eezrv system for the bus, and 1 for the truck/trailer. They work well and have replaceable batteries. Batteries last 2 to 3 years in the sensors.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thanks for the reply all. I am leaning to the smart tire. You all have me paranoid about the 2 inch offset and bearing wear. I think it would be much better to have the sensor near the hub as opposed to at the end of the valve stem.

Thank You Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Wayne, got to thinking about your bearing concerns. First of all the reports of problems on semis are probably in a different class since they see a ton more miles and may see heavier loading than you will see.

I would think that your tag axle is rated for much heavier load that would be seen on the bogey. So it should not be an issue.

As I recall, you are not using the Eagle rear end - rather a truck rear end. I would think that you could use your scales to set a reasonable load balance on both the drive and tag axles once you get the interior components installed. I would be tempted to put fairly significant percentage of the dynamic load on the tag to "take it easy" on the drive axle and the Torsilastic springs under driving conditions.

Now that I have mentioned the Torsilastics, I need to bring up a potential problem. If the tag airbags deflate (in storage or long term parking), all of the load in the rear of the bus will be applied to the Torsilastics. I think your bus will be on the heavy side, and all of that load could damage the stock springs. Not sure how to address that issue. Even your hydraulic leveling cylinders could not be counted on to protect the springs since the pressure would bleed off long term. About all you could do is to put the bus on jack stands when in storage. Another possibility would be to install a small compressor (12V or 120V) in the tag axle system with a pressure gauge that would keep the springs inflated during long periods (maybe put on a relay so that it would only function when the ignition is off).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Interesting article on Super Singles and 2 inch offset:

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/equ ... axles.aspx

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank You for the article. I have a hydraulic leveling system that will be used when ever the bus sits so as not to damage the torsilastic springs. Yes I plan on picking up a bunch of weight with the tag. It is a 25000 LB axle. I will not load it that heavy. With the tag in the back I will be easier to place a lot more weight on the tag. I will experiment with it on scales to set the weight. I have an air system that I can dump the tag and air up the drive axle in tight turns used only for short distances.

The article talks about using good bearing set correctly. I use a dial indicator to set the end play and have tried to keep it under .005. How do you know you are using good bearings? Has anyone used the coated bearing ( something blue ??? bearings ) and are they any better than the ones at a truck shop?
azdieselman
FMCA #: 424352
Bus Model: 1980 Model 10

Post by azdieselman »

This is an interesting product I saw at TMC.
Simple operation, very repeatable results.

http://www.doctorpreload.com/
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

That looks like a neat tool. I am a sucker for tools mite have to get one of those :D

Thank You Wayne