Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Eagle model 15 auto shutdown

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
AQUALAUGE
Bus Model: 45' Model 15 Factory Raised Roof

Eagle model 15 auto shutdown

Post by AQUALAUGE »

Hello all I am heading cross country and had my auto shut down light go on three or four times in about eight minutes. I pulled over to turn the bus off including the disconnect switches To let it rest for the night. Is anyone out there for familiar with the auto shut down? It seems to shift fine it is an Allison automatic also is a 6v92. Seems to shift fine up to about 50 to 60 miles an hour but then looses power and auto shutdown light illuminates. any help would be appreciated.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Eagle model 15 auto shutdown

Post by akroyaleagle »

I'd check the low fuel indicator.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

We need a bit more information. Is this an electronic (DDEC) or mechanical engine? If DDEC, it will have a code stored and that will tell you what is wrong.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
AQUALAUGE

Post by AQUALAUGE »

Thank you so much for your replies. We replaced the fuel filters this morning and drove about an hour and a half before the problem resumed. It is a 6V92 DDEC. It has an override switch that cancels out the auto shut down I tried that a couple of times and seemed to work as a temporary fix but I know that there is a problem for sure. I bought some diesel cleaner this evening and plan to replace the fuel filters again tomorrow morning. Sounds like the best thing is to get it into a shop and have them check the code thanks so much for that information. The engine seems to be running perfect at an idol but loses its curve especially when going up a hill. I will check the low fuel indicator as well. The bus sat about a year and a half driving only short distances during that time so I am thinking it may be just bad fuel I hope.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I think that Joe meant to say low coolant sensor. I don't think there is a low fuel level sensor. By far, the most frequent issue with a properly operating system is low coolant.

The second most common problem with DDEC is bad/dirty connections. Be sure to pull the connectors on the ecm and spray them with contact cleaner.

I agree, that you could have a fuel problem. I always recommend that folks install a Fuel Pro fuel filter http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... 13&p=30020. It will quickly let you sort out fuel problems (air/water/debris).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Jim's right!

I meant low coolant.

Too many birthdays!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Sounds like he is low on coolant that is way they are supposed to work in the limp mode.they won't produce full power once the 43 code flash till you correct the coolant level
AQUALAUGE

Post by AQUALAUGE »

All, thank you so much for your input. One thing we noticed was I can replace the fuel filters and drive an hour and a half without problems at 70 mph. Then on a slight incline the auto shut down will occur. When I change the fuel filters we checked the coolant on the drum above the engine and made sure it was full however it may be a bad sensor. I also noticed that if I drive it around 60 to 63 Miles an hour it does not occur I'm starting to wonder if there is a fuel line problem May be heating up. There is an engine shutdown override switch the far upper right of the dash that I have been using when the engine shut down occurs and it seems to be working fine. The engine is running and idling fine and when the shut down does not occur the engine performs perfectly. Forgive me if there are spelling errors etc. I am using the voice on an iPhone :) at any rate thank you all so much for your input it has really been a help and hopefully I will get to the bottom of this. It's a figure it out I will surely let you all know.
AQUALAUGE

Post by AQUALAUGE »

Hello all,

Due to some computer issues I did not get back to let everyone know what the problem was. It turned out that the ground wire on the coolant level sensor was loose. Amazing that one little wire would shut down the entire bus. Thanks again for all the input!!! Much appreciated.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was.

It is always good when the solution is free :D

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO