Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Model 01 Throttle pedal not returning correctly

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Oktyabr
Bus Model: 1961 Silver Eagle Model "01"

Model 01 Throttle pedal not returning correctly

Post by Oktyabr »

One day I went out to start it and I noticed that the throttle pedal doesn't return to "idle" position very well any more. It does move back a bit but not like it should. Actuating the linkage from the engine compartment (8v71) will move the pedal back and forth so I know it's all connected still anyway. Also, with the engine running, I can get it to return to idle by pulling up on the pedal.

I've lubed every joint I can find and looked for broken springs and someplace where something might have bound it up to no avail. I've got the parts manual but no actual service manual and I'm scratching my head here. It's the linkage type, not cable. I wouldn't mind moving to an air throttle but the idea of throwing a bunch of money at a problem *without understanding what the problem really is* will keep me up at night forever.

Just ranting a bit, I guess. Any suggestions or links, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Re: Model 01 Throttle pedal not returning correctly

Post by blue_goose »

Time for an air throttle.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Get a couple of cans of WD40 and pull the cable that connects to the fuel arm out fully extended.

Spray it liberally.

Keep spraying, Push/Pull it until it frees up. Probably will take a while depending on how long the bus has sat.

Keep lubing it until it works freely.

BTDT. It ain't no fun to fly down to Tacoma from Anchorage, pick up the coach and trailer then get on I-5 to Puyallup and discover the throttle will not return enough to let the automatic upshift. So it's at night, 20mph, rush hour traffic. Did I mention it was raining cats and dogs?

Good Luck,
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Oktyabr
Bus Model: 1961 Silver Eagle Model "01"

Post by Oktyabr »

Spent a few hours yesterday accessing every inch of throttle linkage I could reach. Had a friend move the throttle for me and I lubed every contact point and joint with a spray bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Only found one grease fitting in the entire assembly and pumped it full as well. MUCH better! Have the block heater plugged in now and I plan to give it a run later today.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Inside the tunnel there are several pass through pillar bearings on that rod,most of the time the problem is in the 1st hatch where the step ends that bearing has a bad habit of freezing up