Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

83 Silver Eagle starter not engaging.

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
PhilDWebb
Bus Model: 1983 Silver Eagle

83 Silver Eagle starter not engaging.

Post by PhilDWebb »

I have a 1983 Silver eagle with a 6v92 and when trying to start it does nothing.
The air buzzer comes on when we turn that toggle switch on but nothing when we hit the momentary starter switch.
We checked voltage and showing 12 and also it does crank when we have the toggle flipped to "run" and then jump through starter main 12v+ to the small wire coming from the momentary starter switch. We took a screw driver and jumped across these at the starter itself.
So I pull that part of the dash out and pull the 2 wires off the momentary starter switch to see if jumping them out there would crank. Nothing, which to me would show that the switch was bad if it did crank. Checked for power from each wire to ground to see if there was any voltage on either wire, nothing.

We checked also to make sure that the auto transmission was in the neutral position. It was good.
I have looked through some PDF here to see the wiring diagram to see what may be keeping it from cranking and I can see where fuse "44" is what I should check in the front electrical panel and also that there is a wire 160 that also comes from that panel.
Many years ago there was a diode, I believe, that was in the back electrical panel that was messed up and was keeping it from cranking I believe.

Any ideas on what else I should do to figure out what may be keeping it locked out and not cranking?
Any ideas on where the small wire that triggers the started to crank comes from? I believe the number is 100 white but can't see where it comes from prior to hitting the starter.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Phil
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: 83 Silver Eagle starter not engaging.

Post by akroyaleagle »

12V may not be enough to start, should be 12.7V or so if fully charged. It should allow the starter to try though.

Wire 100 is the starter solenoid on my 78' '05.

Clean, check or recheck all the battery grounds. They will cause the problem you cite.

Put a jumper wire across the neutral safety switch on the transmission. If the switch is bad, that will allow you to start. (It will allow a start in any gear!) Be careful!

PM me your email and I will send you the wire numbers and their uses. That info used to be on the board somewhere, but it may have been deleted.

NOTE: I found this link to the info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsoygg1ke3zuw ... Wiring.pdf
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
PhilDWebb

Post by PhilDWebb »

Thanks AK,.
I did check the battery connection and also have actually jumped the started at the started to have it engage and crank the engine. I shorted a screwdriver across the 12 v positive to the wire coming from the start button.
So I know that the batteries are good enough and also that the starter is working.
My email is available under the tab over to the left. Or at least I know that I have that turned on where other members can contact me through email.
Not sure if placing it here makes it available for the bots looking for emails, ha
Thanks

I'm wondering why I'm not getting any voltage on either wire connecting to the starter switch? Do the lockouts like the transmission neutral and any others, prevent the voltage from being at the starter switch or do the lockouts stop the voltage after its left the starter switch?
This would help me figure out if its a fuse or something else?
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

The starter is locked out when you are in gear.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member
PhilDWebb

Post by PhilDWebb »

blue_goose wrote:The starter is locked out when you are in gear.
Jack
Jack,..
Are there any other lockouts that you know of for me to look for?

Does anyone know if the voltage would be at the starter switch if the transmission neutral switch is failing? IE Does the voltage hit the starter switch before going to the transmission switch or afterward?
Thanks,
Phil
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Phil, welcome to our forum.

I removed the big electric panel from my bus several years ago, but I think I recall that there is a switch on the panel that lets you set where you start the bus (front or back). I looked in my owner's manual and could not find any mention of the switch.

Worth a look.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

This may help.
Attachments
Master Switch Layout pg 3.jpeg
Master Switch Layout pg 2.jpeg
Master Switch Layout pg 1.jpeg
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
PhilDWebb

Post by PhilDWebb »

Thanks for all the additional information and schematics.
Still working on it.
Wondering if its possible that the master switch could also be failing. Does hearing the low air buzzer going off verify that that switch is sending power to the correct place? I've noticed that the switch has 2 poles and wondering if one side works the low air buzzer while the other could be the side sending power to the starter. I don't want to assume that it is a good switch due to the low air buzzer sounding off.

Phil