Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Allison HT 740 No reverse

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Clydes Barn
FMCA #: 226731
Bus Model: 1982 Silver Eagle

Allison HT 740 No reverse

Post by Clydes Barn »

Hey Folks, new to the forum, but appreciate any help. Got my 82 Silver Eagle in July and have been out on the road with it for a couple months. Had the tranny serviced before leaving, everything has been fine.
Suddenly today found out I had no reverse. Had it this morning leaving Ft. Lauderdale but got to Deland area and it is now in-op in reverse. Any ideas? I am surely going to have to have help as I checked the fluid and it's on point, linkage is fine and working.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Allison HT 740 No reverse

Post by luvrbus »

If you have 1st gear the clutch pack is good so it will be a stuck valve or a broken spring in the valve body
Clydes Barn

Post by Clydes Barn »

Thanks, I was hoping it was something like that. I will check it out this morning as I usually operate in drive, and never dropped it all the way down into the first gear position.
Clydes Barn

Post by Clydes Barn »

Haven't been able to get a hold of anyone yet today that can help, but here is a new update as of this morning. I started the bus and let it build air. I had not only first but also reverse was back. So it would seem that the problem has a temp related aspect to it.
Thanks again for the forum and the ability to seek answers. :D
grandpaD
Bus Model: shopping

Post by grandpaD »

Glad to hear your trans is cooperating with you again.
Hope it continues to do so.
Chuck Dykstra Sr
Lake Geneva, WI
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

It's funny how gremlins go away if you don't panic,but if keeps happening you may need to clean and polish the valves in the valve body
Clydes Barn

Post by Clydes Barn »

Hahahaha right? I have a guy coming today to change out the shift solenoid. He was an Allison tech at one time and feels that's the problem. We'll see but thanks for riding shotgun here with me.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

LOL he going to have a tough time finding a shift solenoid on a 740
Clydes Barn

Post by Clydes Barn »

Ruh Roh! Well he'll be here in a few and then we can see what he knows.
Clydes Barn

Post by Clydes Barn »

Ok, so here's the update guys. I got a hold of my trusted Allison tech on the West Coast. Electronic transmissions have a shift solenoid and the local guy probably just assumed. It is a mechanical transmission and the problem is the valve body.
As it went into reverse the morning after the failure, it can be surmised that a broken spring is out which leaves a sticking valve. Run her but watch her, is the order of the day and if the problem stays away I will take it in when I get back for service and while they do that have them take the valve body out and spiffy it up. If it acts up again, at least I know what it is.
Thanks to you guys who responded during the crisis.
:D