Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Allison HT 740 No reverse

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Allison HT 740 No reverse

Post by beltguy »

I know zip about the mechanical details of the Allison

However, building on Clifford's comments, if this is a sticking situation, I have to wonder what condition the transmission fluid is in. If it has not been changed in the past year or two (or?) I would consider changing it and the filter as a preventative measure.

The question becomes what fluid would you use if you decide to change it. Some folks go full bore and buy Transcend. I think Clifford has said in the past that Transcend is not necessary in an HT740. I had heard that Dextron and engine oil are acceptable.

I looked at an online owners manual for the HT740 (and other versions): http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-T ... Manual.pdf
Hydraulic fluids (oils) used in the transmission are important influences on
transmission performance, reliability, and durability.
• Transmission fluid types recommended for use in the AT, MT, and HT Series
transmissions are TranSynd™, DEXRON® -III, and C-4.
• TranSynd™ is a fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid that meets new
Allison specifications for Severe Duty and Extended Drain Interval
. Please note that the tables showing fluid and filter change intervals are for
TranSynd™, Non-TranSynd™, and mixed transmission fluids.
• Some DEXRON ® -III fluids are also qualified as Type C-4 fluids. To ensure the
fluid is qualified for use in Allison transmissions, check for a DEXRON® -III or
C-4 fluid license, or approval numbers on the container, or consult the lubricant
manufacturer. Consult your Allison Transmission dealer or distributor before
using other fluid types; fluid types such as Type F, and universal farm fluids
may or may not be properly qualified for use in your Allison transmission
It appears that C-4 used to describe diesel engine oil. It appears that the current ratings are CK-4 and CJ-4 but they describe diesel engine oil.

Clear as mud?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Clydes Barn
FMCA #: 226731
Bus Model: 1982 Silver Eagle

Post by Clydes Barn »

W0W! Thx Jim for the solid info. I tried finding a manual and as the Forrest Gump of tech I struggle with that. But I serviced it 4500 miles ago and it's Dextron.
Mikes74eagle
FMCA #: F474888
Bus Model: 1974 eagle http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... &mode=view

Post by Mikes74eagle »

Just wondering if you got this issue fixed mine did the same on the way to
Sturgis last month
I have a stone Bennett shifter and it turned out to be some bad contact pins
Clydes Barn
FMCA #: 226731
Bus Model: 1982 Silver Eagle

Post by Clydes Barn »

It sort of fixed itself. I never had another problem. Next time I have it serviced I am going to have them pull the pan and polish the valves.
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Years ago, when I had a Stone Bennett shifter, I had the problem with reverse. I found the shift lever was not moving far enough to get into reverse. It was a simple adjustment. All I did was run the shifter through the gears and made sure each position was correct. Never had the problem again. I would bet the current cable shifter could have the same problem.
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.